• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Kurthamm

1. K

Trs-80 Model 4 Keyboard

First, does this happen to you? You drag out one of the old machines and start working. You post a question about that machine. Looking for answers, you find your own post from years ago asking the same question. Lol. But, here we go. Will a TRS-80 Mod III keyboard fit a Mod 4? I feel...
  2. K

Vintage Computer Network

I have collected and had fun with most of the computers that I wanted to accumulate. Now, I want to turn my attention to building a vintage computer network. I am not sure what the underlying topology would be. I would want to build it around some client computers and a core mini computer...
  3. K

IBM Portable 5155 Screws

I need to repair the power supply, but the cover has these weird screws. There is a post in the middle of the hole. Can someone tell me what kind of screwdriver I need to buy? Thanks, Kurt
  4. K

Vaxen are $$$$

I would love to have some big Vax iron, but they are often listed on eBay with a very high price. Are these boxes very popular? I know that we are talking about some initially very expensive servers, but these prices suggest that they are being purchased for production use. Thoughts? Kurt
  5. K

eBay Scammers

I am seeing a lot more vintage computers for sale on eBay from sellers with no feedback or a very small number. I think the scammers have identified our ranks as possibly easy marks. Don't get carried away and forget to look at the feedback stats for a seller. What are your minimum...
  6. K

Great Rainbow find!

I am always interested when I see a Rainbow 100+ available. This one had no internal pictures and no testing as far as I could tell. I went for it and I am glad I did. I removed the top and there was the hard drive right where it was supposed to be. It had bounced out of the caddy, but slide...
  7. K

Model 4 BBS

I have been dowloading every BBS software package I can find and trying to run on my TRS-80 Model 4. I tried Zeta and the others mostly under LS-DOS. I tried a couple under LDOS. I can't get any of them to run. Does anyone have a recommendation for a BBS that I can play with and run on the...
  8. K

TRS-80 Model 4 Power Cable

The Vintage Computer Gods giveth and taketh away. Thanks for the info above. It got me close enough to take an educated guess and I guessed correctly. It booted fine and asked for a diskette. Found a diskette, inserted it, and turned on. SO EAGER! Then... POP! FLASH! SMOKE! Burned out...
  9. K

TRS-80 Model 4 Power Cable

I am getting a M4 with the power cable cut off. I bought a replacement power cable with Green/white/black wires. The m4 has blue/black/green. It looks like the green wire on the M4 is the ground. Can anyone confirm how these colors should line up? I am not very electronically adept...
  10. K

Compaq Deskpro 386/25

I was always an IBM PC/XT/AT guy and never really touched a compaq. Now, I have this cool Deskpro 386/25 with 3MB of memory. What is the skinny on adding memory to these boxes? Can you use third party memory cards like in the AT? I need to get more memory in this to play Doom and speed up...
  11. K

Compaq Deskpro 386/25

I just got a Deskpro 386/25 that runs perfectly, but with no hard disk or controller. Does anyone have advice on what type of controller and hard disk I should be on the lookout to complete this system? Obviously want to stay close to original equipment. Thanks! Kurt
  12. K

DEC Pro 350

So, I bought that 350 on eBay. I am a big Rainbow fan and just had to own a sibling. I booted it and got the hard disk format error. Ok mid post update I don't even get the diagnostic screen. When I boot I get all the lights 1-4 lit red. Multiple reboots and can't get the screen I got when...
  13. K

TRS-80 Model 1 computer and expansion dust covers

Has anyone been able to source new dust covers for the Model 1 and the Expansion Interface? It seems you should be able to print one with a 3d printer, but I have never used one. It is a small cosmetic thing, but I hate the way my system looks without them. ha. Kurt
  14. K

DEC Motherboard

I have this motherboard and I am wondering which version I have. I guess I can plug it in and check. Is there an easier way? Here is a photo. If I send a picture of the entire motherboard, would that help?
  15. K

How is this possible?

Cutthroats vintage video game by InfoCom on eBay. Used, in grey booklet with floppy and accessories. Looks complete. For Apple II, Macintosh, Atari, Commodore 64, DEC Mate, DEC Rainbow, HP 150 and 110, IBM PC and PC JR., KAYPRO II, MS_DOS 2.0 (Use the IBM PC version for your Compaq and MS-DOS...
Back