• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by modem7

1. modem7

Project to create an ATX 80286 mainboard based on the IBM 5170

But is 6 MHz. This subject has come up before, and from system benchmarking, as a generalisation, 5162 'performance' was put between the 6 MHz 5170 and the 8 MHz 5170.
  2. modem7

Help fixing a Commodore PC-10 III

Often, that is a sign that the keyboard is doing a self-test shortly after it receives power. How confident are you that this is not a video related problem ? Some suggestions (of which some are repeats of things mentioned in earlier threads) follow. You could do some whilst waiting for an LPT...
  3. modem7

Project to create an ATX 80286 mainboard based on the IBM 5170

Per [here], the 5162 was released after the 6 MHz and 8 MHz versions of the 5170.
  4. modem7

XT-IDE/XT-CF - Wipe of MBR

I have added use of HxD software to the options in the 'wipe' and 'verification of wipe' pages.
  5. modem7

Information on an ATI EGA Wonder dongle thingy?

What about VGA as well: Video Seven's VEGA VGA card, details at [here]; VGA + EGA + CGA + MDA + HGC
  6. modem7

Toshiba T1000XE repair thread

Welcome to these forums. Be aware of the T1000EX information at [here]. I am unfamiliar with the T1000EX. In the 'POWER' section of the 'Toshiba T1000XE' web page at [here], is "The regular power supply is 12V DC attached to the side of the laptop. This power is used to charge the battery...
  7. modem7

A tip for those designing new hardware for vintage machines...

I see now. The FDISK in FreeDOS has a /CLEARMBR option, which from the description, deletes all partitions and the master boot code. And maybe it deletes the signature bytes as well.
  8. modem7

IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 Keyboard Issues

It really does suggest a motherboard fault related to the keyboard interface. 1. The model of replacement may not be compatible with the motherboard. 2. If it is compatible, maybe what you used contains a low/depleted battery. 3. If it is compatible, and the battery within is good, you need to...
  9. modem7

IBM 5154 Magic Smoke released

Except for colour, they appear to match the ones shown on the 'ebay item' card at [here]. I have my IBM EGA card fitted in my IBM 5170, and I ended up deciding to leave ISA slot 2 empty.
  10. modem7

IBM 5154 Magic Smoke released

I sense that you are seeking comment. My 5154 does not have a capacitor soldered in that position (although there is a ceramic capacitor soldered on elsewhere, very far away). But a possibility is that my 5154 is earlier than yours, and precedes the time that an Engineering Change added the...
  11. modem7

Down the track, as part of diagnosis, we may be in the situation of wanting some level of assurance that a wipe of the first sector, the MBR, did in fact happen. For example, we suspect that a technical reason or user reason (e.g. typo) resulted in the MBR not getting wiped. Accordingly, for...
  12. modem7

I am unsure as to why you added the quoted line to the post. How does that relate to wiping/clearing/zeroing (all of) the first sector, the MBR.
  13. modem7

Floppy A is found but won't read disk.

Refer to the diagram at [here]. In my opinion, there is no point in trying configuration #3 if configurations #1 and #2 do not work ('work' = I can read a floppy/diskette put into the drive).
  14. modem7

And from that, we know that your motherboard/BIOS is not the type that only supports one floppy/diskette drive. (I.e. You didn't write something like, ".. and I decided to add a second floppy drive whilst I had the computer open.")
  15. modem7

On some computers, the POST (power-on self test) could display that ONLY because the user informed the POST, via CMOS SETUP, that an A: drive is installed. Personally, if I was the author of the POST, and wanted to indicate to the user that I found drive A:, I would display "Drive A: found". If...
Back