• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Mr.Amiga500

1. M

Child of NABU Founders Working on Network Emulation

The $60 shipping to Canada is actually "reasonable" these days for something so big and heavy. The problem is the lousy exchange rate and customs fees. With everything added up, eBay is showing me a price of $187.53 CAD. I would definitely get this nice paperweight for $59.99, but not $187.53.
  2. M

My Vintage/Retro room

Nice TV. I too have a wood cased CRT. (and "wood-look" VCR) (out of focus - damn squirrel got in the way)
  3. M

Gmail and Catch-22

It's not about money. It's about principle. These services didn't require a mobile phone when I signed up and now they're basically holding my accounts hostage until I submit to their demands. Screw them.
  4. M

Gmail and Catch-22

I've been locked out of YouTube, Steam, Apple, PayPal, online banking (and more) - mostly because they now insist on a mobile phone # and I don't have one. I can still use eBay, but they hassle me every time I log in (reloading can bypass the page). Most sites now add additional verification -...
  5. M

LK07 (VT100, etc.) keyboard oddity.

Are you sure that second one isn't a CIT-101 terminal keyboard? (VT100 clone) They used Alps SKCC switches instead of the VT100 Hi-Tek ones.
  6. M

The School Years

I know Burroughs merged with Sperry to become Unisys. That's not the reason for the rarity. This was a custom computer for Ontario schools and the Ontario government trashed them as they became obsolete. A few of the later Unisys models apparently got missed as the "trashing program" ended.
  7. M

How do you store and display your collection - show & tell

This is how I de-yellowed my computers/keyboards. A seagull even came down to check it out. I think he approved. Post sun: The computers/keyboards are still not as yellow as they used to be - after 3 years. I think it's re-yellowing at the same rate as the "retrobright" method.
  8. M

Forget "retrobright" - just put your yellowed computers in the sun and they'll whiten. After a few years, they'll eventually re-yellow, just like with "retrobrighting", but you don't have the hassle of disassembling and soaking in peroxide. I whitened some computers a few years ago this way...
  9. M

The School Years

Bah! That's because you're way down there in the backwards South Pacific, not because you're an old man who used to walk through deep snow uphill both ways 5km to school every day. (...like I did, wishing I was a bloody Kiwi with a slide rule 🤪)
  10. M

The School Years

Well of course they're popular. I was saying it's the Burroughs ICON that's rare. I've seen a few later Unisys models, but never the early Burroughs ones.
  11. M

The School Years

We had a PET 4016 and TRS-80 Model III briefly shown to us in 1982. We had use of it for one or two days, then they were gone. I think they went school to school "on tour". I was in grade 11 when my school had its first ever computer class - with the Commodore 64. Next year, we got the...
  12. M

Is that a Compaq Portable III? I had one that went missing when I moved. I also lost an Apple II Plus. (damn those movers)
  13. M

I've got a dedicated "Computer Room". All my favourite stuff is out on the desks, ready to use. The rest is in the large closet in the room. I don't have any computer stuff anywhere else in the house.
  14. M

Huh? "Upgrade to 30Mbps"?

That speed would blow my mind. In my area, the only option was 10Mbs for $99/month - but it was actually more like 2Mbs on a good day. Thankfully, they recently changed to LTE and I can now get 50Mbs (more like 25Mbs) for $99/month. I can finally view 1080p Youtube videos now (but not 4K)...
  15. M

What is 'proper' restoration

I saw your video early this morning. I thought it was great. From what I saw, the only part that wasn't "proper" was when you broke the space bar. I cringed at that. (...mainly because I did the same thing once) The guy complaining was a jerk. Ignore him.