• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by retrogear

1. R

Dual 8 inch QUMETRAK 842 rack mount floppy drive restoration

You need to jumper the RDY line. Pin 34 on a PC is not connected internally so your Ready for the 8" is probably floating ? Chuck would know. I think he told me about it years ago. Can't remember exactly how that goes without some more digging but it seems like just make the drive always ready...
  2. R

86-DOS 0.11 Source Code Reconstruction

Cool. Your asm86.com seems to work fine under cpm80. It's producing byte accurate code. I had tried the DRI asm86.com before but the syntax had differences. Larry G
  3. R

Should I Attempt to Fix Vertical Collapse on a Tandy Color Monitor CM-5?

I can't find a schematic but are you sure you didn't bump a service switch inside ? Some CRT's have a slide switch on the board to drop it to a line to do RGB level settings. Those switches can get dirty contacts too. Although I see both CM-4 and CM-8 service switch keeps a full raster so maybe...
  4. R

What was the excitement of your first PC?

Pure curiosity. In 1982 I had been in the electronics service business for about 5 years and the buzz was about personal computers. I couldn't afford an IBM PC but a coworker recommended checking out a company called Apple Computer. I had not heard of them but the price was better. I bought an...
  5. R

Zenith Z-100 can read early 8" 86-DOS disks

scratch all that. I forgot to activate the jread and jwrite. It seems adding any jcall just locks it up
  6. R

Actually it has finished the disk read buffering by then. Would it be another function like character io that needs a stack buffer ? I suppose it could be at the point where it's going to read the disk again but it had buffered several tracks before displaying.
  7. R

That's much better. It can read a V .34 8" in C: When I try from A: TYPE C:NEWS.DOC it displays a few paragraphs then blizzards with wild interrupts. Same trying to type a text file on a v1.0 disk. Should I increase more ?
  8. R

Enabling the disk r/w causes it to lock before it reads command.com. Without those enabled I get the occasional lock sometimes with a scrolling wild interrupt message. I owned a Z-100 decades ago and I remember getting wild interrupts trying to run pc software. Back then I had a lot less...
  9. R

I see in your v2 you have stack wrappers available for all bios calls but only enabled them on disk read / write. Would enabling more or all slow things down or increase file size too much ? Just curious. BTW I'm currently using your v1 source with a few of my tweaks. Larry G
  10. R

almost like it tries to process an interrupt in the middle of it and can't handle it. Sometimes just DIR C: will lock too. Hmmm it seems to occasionally lock doing DIR C: on any 86dos version disk before even accessing the disk. Larry G
  11. R

yes it does. Here's the .34 C 8" disk. This is where it gets sketchy. From 86DOS 1.14 boot if I try TYPE C:NEWS.DOC it starts displaying it then locks so hard I need to reset.
  12. R

It's a little sketchy using this 86-DOS 1.14 os but of course it's just experimental. However, using the Z-DOS/MSDOS 1.25 bios with the 8" SSSD mod seems very solid with reading writing files to an 8" SSSD 86-DOS 1.x type disk. Larry G
  13. R

That did it !! My hack of your bios can read an 8" SSSD 86-DOS 1.1 disk. This is reading a doc from the 86-DOS v1.1 SN1052 on bitsavers which is on my 8" floppy in C: Oh and assembling the bios with vDos emulator took a few seconds ...
  14. R

Hmmm how do I get files in and out of this so I can stuff in my tweaked IO.SYS ? I think I got the vDos emulator to assemble your source. Larry G
  15. R

Woo hoo !!! That worked. Now I'll have to put in my 8" tweaks. Thanks a lot. I didn't know about the Z-100 emulator either. I'll have to study that. Funny since it's leap day and this appears to be not y2k compatible I had to pick an early year that has a leap day. 2-29-84 works. Had me...
Back