• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by RootHouston

1. R

Any ideas about what I could do with this intermittent memory issue on IBM PC 300GL?

Problem appears to be solved! New Panasonic caps are swapped-in, and I ran a few rounds of Memtest86 perfectly.
  2. R

Any ideas about what I could do with this intermittent memory issue on IBM PC 300GL?

I got some of these Panasonics. They're rated for 105 degrees C. I'll let you know how it works out.
  3. R

Wow, ya know, I removed some components to get some better lighting, and I noticed some of these "Chhsi"-branded caps that appeared bad. One Google search, and it comes up as a known bad brand from back then. I will try to recap these, and report back. I'm a bad solderer, but will give it a go.
  4. R

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I don't own an ESR meter, and by the looks of it, I might be better off buying another machine entirely for the prices of those. The CPU is actually using a Slot 1, and not a socket. There are some DIP switches on the board, but messing with those hasn't done...
  5. R

Just in case anyone has ever experienced this, I wanted to reach out and check here. I bought a 1999 IBM Personal Computer 300GL (Type 6275-90U). It's a Slot 1 Pentium III, Intel 440BX chipset, with a riser board for adding PCI and ISA cards and 3 PC100 DIMM memory sockets. About 50% of the...
  6. R

Would a Gotek floppy emulator work on my IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-A21)?

I am trying to rescue an IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-A21) that uses the standardish 34-pin floppy drive connector with power. I have already replaced the CMOS battery, but now I need to boot a reference disk, and update the CMOS settings to get it working. As usual, the OEM floppy drive that it has...
  7. R

AT&T PC 6300 to 6300 Plus upgrade?

In the AT&T PC 6300 Plus Product Announcement, an upgrade is mentioned for the original AT&T PC 6300 models: this website mentions: However, upon looking through the standard documentation, I am not finding anything about doing a conversion from a regular 6300 to a 6300 Plus. Is the...
  8. R

IBM 5150: VGA boots to BASIC, but CGA won't?

Although it runs fine with my late '90s VGA card and display, I was recently able to get a more period-correct IBM 5153 display and Color Graphics adapter card for my IBM 5150. My hard card is malfunctioning, and I'm expecting to get to IBM Cassette BASIC, but in CGA mode, despite changing...
Back