• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by voidstar78

1. V

Searching for NEC PC-8001A software & hardware

"we need Gerber file for PCB, BOM file and pic&place file for assembly." Thanks, I see now for Kicad. I assume BOM is "bill of material", an inventory of IC's and pin headers? Plus I think there is one switch in the build. A few of the components are obvious from the photos, but didn't see a...
  2. V

It's the same WiModem232 I used here on the CoCo3 at 19200 baud (with 6551 chip). The onboard PIA 6821 of that system was hard to bit bang past 2400. But yeah, I'd imagine the PC-8001's 8251 UART should be a tad more performant. Anyone happen to be aware of any other cassette based...
  3. V

I recall trying that - and it would toggle the display of things like "CR", but the "BS" symbol seemed to appear in either case. As for the baud rate jumpers on the PC-8001 MK II, I've assumed it is ok to adjust those while the system is running? The WiModem232 I have defaults to 300 baud on...
  4. V

Well, REM (remote) isn't critical - you just have to be more mindful of pressing STOP yourself after done loading. I just got one of the NEC PC-8001 VGA adapters - works great, so I can use a modern flat panel and not put more wear-and-tear on the CRT. INKEY, can't believe I missed that...
  5. V

Ah, but without the diagrams, it's not obvious (to me) what the pinout order is (at least not being a DIN connector expert; like in that Japanese user manual the clockwise order of the CMT pins from 1 is 1-4-2-5-3-7-8-6. Also in that manual is the currently the only photo of that RS232 ribbon...
  6. V

The PC-8001 I have came with a Japanese copy of the users manual. Not sure if that is completely archive yet. But I made the attached PDF that has some pin-out info that I hadn't seen described as well elsewhere (I mean with also diagrams that are more explicit about which pin is which).
  7. V

NEC PC-8001 trying to make RS-232 cable

I've also picked up a 8001 mk II just to compare it. Here are some follow up notes on the PC-8001 mk II : - When in terminal mode, GRAPH+B is key to swap back to BASIC. The User's Manual for PC-8001 mk II on archive.org is in Japanese. But luckily the mk II that I got, the connectors...
  8. V

Think the internal 16-pin DIP socket is like the pinout expressed for the PC-8062 cable. I goofed in thinking the ribbon cable followed the "normal" IC pinout (1-8 on one side, then 9-16 wrapped around to the other side). Doesn't invalidate any finding, and I realize to keep that "socket...
  9. V

I'll get notes on a more concise wiring diagram tonight. That little 16-pin ribbon cable, the pins are "crisscrossed" (not like a regular IC DIP) so gotta be careful there.
  10. V

Ok, confirmed it all works! And here's the video... Happy BBS'ing now on your NEC PC-8001 !!! (but no ANSI and no backspace support, so it's a little bit of a rough ride) Just GND/TX/RX, enough to communicate. Didn't find RTS/CTS pins, so this might not work for data transfer (KERMIT...
  11. V

Forgot I had a 32-channel logic analyzer. Got it figured out and have a WiModem232 working with the PC-8001 with its built in TERM command. Will post more notes tonight. But for starters, I found the TX pin and recognized the correct ASCII sequences getting sent - by entering term mode and...
  12. V

Here's the initial results. As expected, the specified PC-8062 isn't 1:1 to that pinout of that internal socket. The voltage test in the middle was after the system had been on for about 10min. In the voltage test on the right, the values in parenthesis are the actual measured values...
  13. V

As mentioned elsewhere (here), the RS232 pinout for the NEC PC-8001 is noted here: https://github.com/0cjs/sedoc/blob/master/8bit/nec/8001.md#serial--rs-232 The header for this RS-232 is actually internal to the system, and my understanding is a PC-8062 cable was used to tether the pins outside...
  14. V

IBM 5100 - worklog

Here are my notes related to the power supply on the 5110 (which is the same between the 5100 and 5120 -- on the 5120, it has two power supplies, one for the disk drive, then the 5100/5110 equivalent power supply is buried deeper inside the belly of the system, but is exactly the same dimensions...
  15. V

Thx, updated about the V1. I tried the WAV playback of Mario Bro on the PC-8001, but no luck - it went on loading for 10+ minutes and the machine eventually just rebooted. I can load other stuff off WAV recordings, so I think the playback equipment is fine. Didn't try messing with volume...
Back