• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by vwestlife

1. vwestlife

VGA video RAM as regular memory

Turns out the Model M was quite the problem child for Leading Edge and Mitsubishi:
  2. vwestlife

Midwest IBM Model 5155 "suitcase" Portable XT

They were also called "sewing machine" portables, because the size, weight, and appearance is similar to a portable sewing machine in its case.
  3. vwestlife

Midwest IBM Model 5155 "suitcase" Portable XT

The 5155 would be an awfully big and heavy suitcase. When I saw "suitcase portable" I thought of the PS/2 Model P70 or P75.
  4. vwestlife

VGA video RAM as regular memory

What kind of "IBM PC clone" is this that has ISA slot(s) but maxes out at 128K of RAM on the motherboard? An original Tandy 1000?
  5. vwestlife

Reorganization of 'Genres' Category

I also don't get the disdain for considering 2000s systems to be vintage. It's not like we're fixed to a 30-year timespan, and thus allowing in PCs from 2005 will automatically cause your 1975 Altair to be forgotten. And it's not like it would lead to a massive influx of new users here anyway...
  6. vwestlife

It's not like there is a whole lot of Mac activity here anyway, since there are other, more popular forums which cover Macs exclusively.
  7. vwestlife

I think all pre-Intel Macs are suitably "vintage" by this point. Some of the last PowerPC systems may be of the same age as a Core 2 Duo, but unlike the C2D they have absolutely no hope of running any modern operating systems or software.
  8. vwestlife

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

So what 386/486 system used quad-density 720K 5.25" floppy drives? That's really odd.
  9. vwestlife

I rarely dive into the individual forum categories. I just click on "What's new" and then read any thread that catches my interest, regardless of where it was posted.
  10. vwestlife

Run IBM XT or AT diagnostics disk on clone system?

Which version? I never had a problem running IBM Diagnostics on a generic clone. In fact, aftermarket VGA cards all have "IBM" in their BIOS to make sure it would pass IBM's VGA diagnostics.
  11. vwestlife

IBM System/23 Datamaster, display and character generation

I fully understand that, having used a typewriter that was missing the 1 and 0 keys because it expected l and O to serve double-purpose. But virtually every computer manual from the late '70s to early '90s stressed the importance of not mixing up these characters, because when the computer is...
  12. vwestlife

IBM System/23 Datamaster, display and character generation

The use of the same character for the number 1 and lowercase letter l is quite surprising to me. I wonder if the software for it was designed to interpret any accidental keypress of a lowercase l in a numerical field as the number 1? Because the operator wouldn't be able to tell the difference...
  13. vwestlife

Jason Scott's VCF Donation

"Vintage Computer Federation" is a registered trademark, but not VCF: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=97448623&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch
  14. vwestlife

Since VCF is a 501(c)3 that is collecting monetary donations and enjoying tax benefits, I think there needs to be more accountability and less finger-pointing. If the excuse is that there are people and events using the VCF name without having any official association with the non-profit...
  15. vwestlife

Rather than blaming him for the "failed" donation, it should have either been politely refused to begin with, or if VCF could no longer safely store it, then he should have been the first person contacted to ask if he wanted it back before it was divvied up and/or discarded. If he then said...
Back