• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by wdegroot

1. W

no answer? comand prompt at bootub

there are possibly better places to ask BUT my main pc ( this one0 boots up to win xp and after the desktop appears a few seconds later a black box "file not found c:\windows\system32> exit or clicking on the red close x removes it. I have no idea whay causes this I asked bob cerelli ( windows...
  2. W

newer system different problem ntfs to fat

First I have saved many of my old files on several hard drisks ( oopied from fading cd;'s) since win xp tends to get screwed up,. Icopied and cloned a few extra drives using 10g and 20gb drives as an os.. I fond a working install from last august. thought all the older ones were lost. It is...
  3. W

cpm software

I have acopy of nyacg pc-blue cd which has cm.m and early dos programs
  4. W

off topic usb printer how to make it work

i was told "we had usb printers working with xp) Ithink it is likely this very nice fast 1200 dpi laser printer should eb sween but there must be something I have not dicovered. it took a week toswitch it from spanish to englichthe printing is still spanish,but it has no parallel; port I...
  5. W

usb driver ( works) for 98 and 98se

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php remove otrher drivers choose either 98 or 98se works fointel 82440lx/ex chip set r my chaintech 6eas with the intel I was uinable toget the chipset driver but other mb manuf. may have it. hope this helps. there is a service pack (...
  6. W

chaintech not helpful

digging in a box we found a chaintech amd based vnf4 motherboard. I can dind a review with detailed information. But a manual or drivers? when Chaintech pleaded " it is a discontinued part." I told them that it would cost NOTHING to keep it ion the website. That customers would judge a company...
  7. W

Been busy for a while

my last "experiment here:" was to patch win mE.,- try not to say " why bother" I tried the suggestions after patching and I could not get it to sys or format /s a floppy. I do not know it can be done. after installing the boot files from 98 and trying to put mE files back unsucsesfully and...
  8. W

windows me real dos stupidity

maybe this is not QUITE vinatge. BUT. and maybe I have too much time on my hands. I was going thry my bootdisks and changing those that are strange self-extractors to a better scheme that lets me see what is in them. I had previousy done 6.22 This time I started with win me. I discovered that...
  9. W

folderorganiser a way to unnest subdirectories

this program was suggested to me on photo.net. as they accumulate lots of picture files and the current windows tools are pretty clunky. this should be a useful tool for everytone running windows. but something for DOS would be preferred. IS this something everyone has neglected to be aware of...
  10. W

wordstar and it's history

this time I checked the title I have a lon-ish text file about wordstar history some rare versions are listed by name might vbe a way to find them ?
  11. W

device only works with a 486 boit a slow pentium

I WISH i COULD EDIT THE TITLE DOES NOT WORK WITH A PENTIUM ONLY A 486 I got a call from someone who tells me that he has a serial semiconductor testing device, it works with a 486. but not on any pentium. He argues that a serial port is a serial port. I countered that a 486 will have a isa...
  12. W

old software for dos and windows

for a long time I kept a copy of wordstar professional 4.0 ( dos 1987) on my newer pc. I was used to it and used the column mode. I never printed with it. although HP printers are backwards compatible. Meaning if you have a LJ II or a LJ 6 or a inkjet 520, and tell wordstar you have som other...
  13. W

combination cd dos windows 21 mouse from Micron.

I tested the cd that was sent me. sorry it is windows 311 I cannot edit the title nor delete the thread and start over it has an empty root directory., there was no autorun at that time. three directories dos ( 6.22) mouse and windows (3,11) the dos files are not compressed as they are on the...
  14. W

iTS REALLY AN AMD WITH WIN 98

after I had got to a certain point with the gateway 486, i needed a newer mb to boot from cd and clear a nasty virus from anything. ( hiren's older versions put you at no risk of re-infection) after everything was cleared. I noticed the hard drive mounted in the old ( my last remaining...
  15. W

promise isa eide max enhanced ide controller

Just got a response from Promise. they have no docs or info in EIDE MAX isa card. it is a HD only controller. and some whetre someplace I may have a manual. I will set it aside until i find an answer. it has been intersting.
Back