• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MOD Player for PC XT : Mod Master

FreddyV

Experienced Member
Hi,

Probably most of you have seen my Post on Vogons, I do another one here just in case :)

I released the Version 1.0 of my 8088 (and more) .MOD Player.

I started it as a challenge, to see if I could have my old player working on a 8088. (I developepd the first version for this player in 1993)

Then, I improved it more and more, to add .XM Support, 16Bit Mixing and support for file format and devices build recently.
OPL3LPT, CMSLPT, Tandy with .VGM Files.

Mod Master can also compress the partition and limit the max number of channels played:
It is then possible to play Onward (DOPE Demo 28 Channels MOD) on a 8086 at 8MHz, on the Sound Blaster.
It can also use a Gravis Ultrasound on a 8088.

On an IBM 5150, it is working at 12KHz (and more, depending on the file) for a 4 Channels .MOD, using a Sound Blaster.

For the one that does not know my Youtube Channel, you can see Mod Master playing music on various hardware here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVsC0SYt-0oc … 4NWOXQPw/videos

To Download it, you can go there:

I would love to see more video with it on youtube, as most of the Video showing PC XT only show games, and Planet X3 :)

FreddyV

By sound blaster do you mean an original sound blaster or pro or ??? I used your software years ago, before I found modtracker. Very nice to see this project is still alive. God I miss the BBS days! :D

About to get this Compaq Portables' keyboard working --- machine seems very healthy. I have a few options for sound cards, why I ask. I was about to use a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 as its pretty reliable in 8 bit operation besides the cdrom controller, and has thunderboard support. Which means stereo sound blaster pro support if i remember correctly. Or is it mono for Pro emulation, I forget. Either way it should work LOL. Have a few options why I am asking which would be best (XT 12khz wise).

Last edited:
By sound blaster do you mean an original sound blaster or pro or ??? I used your software years ago, before I found modtracker. Very nice to see this project is still alive. God I miss the BBS days! :D

About to get this Compaq Portables' keyboard working --- machine seems very healthy. I have a few options for sound cards, why I ask. I was about to use a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 as its pretty reliable in 8 bit operation besides the cdrom controller, and has thunderboard support. Which means stereo sound blaster pro support if i remember correctly. Or is it mono for Pro emulation, I forget. Either way it should work LOL. Have a few options why I am asking which would be best (XT 12khz wise).
Hi,
Excellent you used Mod Master long ago, It was not really popular at that time, because of Cubic player and so on, and it did not support .XM

I enhanced Mod master a lot : Huge optimisation, support of SB16 and Gravis on 8088, support of OPLLPT, CMSLPT, Tandy...
So, 16Bit mixing is also possible, on the XT and any Sound Blaster 16 card can be installed thanks to UniSound.
Plus the bonus of speed increase thanks to the signed buffer support of the SB16.

Hi, LPT DAC is Mono only
It would be great to have this feature, maybe for Mod Master 2.x. Are there any plans for this? Alternatively, could the source code be released?

This is Modplay Pro with 2 LPT DACs:

Unfortunately, Modplay Pro only supports .MOD and it is limited to 4 channels.

And below, your Mod Master XT running on my Juko XT, with 1 LPT DAC:

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back