• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MicroVAX II & GoTek

ashlin4010

Hi,

I have been trying to get a GoTek with FlashFloppy to work with a MicroVAX II, supposedly it's possible but I've had no success. I have been trying with the only disk images I have, from this post. https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/microvax-ii-failure-on-boot.64203/post-780282

It mentions that the images are in a "logical sector format" as opposed to a "physical sector format", now I understand the implications of this but I don't have any experience with floppies, they predate me by decades. I could write a little script to convert between logical and physical but I am not entirely sure I understand exactly how I would have to rearrange the image, it would likely take me several permutations additionally I'm not even sure if I have the GoTek configured correctly so it's unlikely I will be able to brute force a solution.

I am looking for a few things:
  • Images that are known to work with the MicroVAX II and GoTek
  • Someone with experience with the MicroVAX II and GoTek
  • Some guidance as to what sector format the FlashFloppy is expecting
The end goal is to install VMS 4.7 onto an MFM emulator, but first I need to perform a low-level format using the Diagnostics Disks
microVAX_II.jpg

Hi @ashlin4010 !

Interesting project. Which Controller do you use on the MV? RQDX3?

Would be interested in trying the same, but have no experience with FF and the MV.

I have a running MFM Emulator from D. Gesswein running on my MV2000 if this helps.

Regards

I bet you're getting burned by the same issue I wrestled with last month. Most of the RX50 "image" files floating around on the web are in the ordering expected by SIMH, which is NOT a valid layout for diskette emulation. See the utilities I posted here:

There's a bit more explanation a few messages down. Bottom line is you need to run simh2dsk.py against those images before they'll work with your Gotek. Specify 'host = dec' in the FF.CFG file and you should be good.

I bet you're getting burned by the same issue I wrestled with last month. Most of the RX50 "image" files floating around on the web are in the ordering expected by SIMH, which is NOT a valid layout for diskette emulation. See the utilities I posted here:

There's a bit more explanation a few messages down. Bottom line is you need to run simh2dsk.py against those images before they'll work with your Gotek. Specify 'host = dec' in the FF.CFG file and you should be good.
Perfect that is exactly what I was thinking, I'm sure the conversion is relatively trivial but you have to know exactly the format you have and need. I will give this a try and post any success I have.
Take a look here: https://microvax2.org/wp/2023/05/03/microvax-i-vax-vms-4-7-successful-bootstrap/

I have achieved what you're trying to do but on a MicroVAX I.

It should be pretty much identical on a MicroVAX II.
-Alon.
Are you the author of that site, you look to be. I wanted to reach out and ask some questions but there's no contact information on the side. Also if you would be able to provide some of the images you've made that would be very helpful as well as links to where you have sourced other images.

But thank you all I'll let you know how I get on in a few weeks, I don't have constant access to the system.

I have no involvement with that site, but found it interesting as well. Let us know if you have better success now?

Perfect that is exactly what I was thinking, I'm sure the conversion is relatively trivial but you have to know exactly the format you have and need. I will give this a try and post any success I have.

Are you the author of that site, you look to be. I wanted to reach out and ask some questions but there's no contact information on the side. Also if you would be able to provide some of the images you've made that would be very helpful as well as links to where you have sourced other images.

But thank you all I'll let you know how I get on in a few weeks, I don't have constant access to the system.
I had no problems using floppy images created by OpenSIMH. No conversions necessary,
OpenSIMH is your friend for going most of the way towards a sucessful bootstrap.

1. Google "Installing MicroVMS V4.6 on SIMH" and follow the instructions.
2. Follow [my/any] instructions for creating a standalone backup kit from within the simulated VMS 4.6
3. "Standalone Backup Kit" is three floppy images. Transfer to the Gotek, rename them appropriately.
4. Boot off the Gotek
5. Read my instructions for creating an image backup on the simulated MicroVMS 4.6 (~30 floppy disk images), and doing a backup restore on the real machine (Gotek->MFM).

Some traps to look out for are incorrect Gotek jumper settings, faulty RQDX3 (HDD works, FDD not), reversed flat cable connector from the RQDX3 to the distribution board, and reversed Gotek flat cable connection.

Good Luck
-Alon.

Back