• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MuLisp Docs

wheagy

Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a scan of MuLisp documentation....specifically for any CP/M version for the Apple II, but I'll take what I can get. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Win

Resurrecting this old thread... as it has become easier to scan documentation.

Documentation for the early versions of muLISP and muMATH as well as for Derive for CP/M as well as for MS-DOS still seems to be missing from the usual archive sites (like bitsavers, archive,org).

Maybe someone with the manuals could take the time to make some scans for preserving the documents and make the software more accessible.
I also noticed that early versions in *.COM format (probably directly translated from CP/M to MS-DOS) had quite a few terminal options including e.g. HP 110 and 150. These early versions must have been installable like Wordstar and other programs of that era, but today I can access the terminal options only in hacker style by modifying the binaries.

Martin

I found CP/M MuLisp and MuMath years ago, not on archive.org, but retroarchive.org:

You have to turn the PDFs 90 degrees to read.

Later, archive.org did turn up the earliest version of MuSimp/MuMath:

Special bonus: the March 1982 issue of the Soft Warehouse's newsletter. Most of it is MuMath, but there's one MuLisp listing:

Thank you for the helpful links.

I would also be interested in later muLISP versions (muLISP-82 ... muLISP-87) because Soft Warehouse changed many of the built-in keywords/functions and extended the number of functions considerably. They seem to have moved closer to "standard" LISP implentations to make code more easily portable.

That's all I've found, I'm afraid. I suggest searching archive.org for "MuLisp" in text to find contemporary magazine reviews. Or the wider web.

The weirdest thing I found was that some Russian college was apparently still using it to teach Lisp! Maybe they hadn't bother updating since the '90s? There might be enough instruction to learn if you translate the pages.

Thanks again - this Russian web site is interesting - too bad it is not available as a single document for download.

They mention muLISP-81, -85 and -87.
Embedded in the text, I also found archives of subsets of the muLISP-85 and muLISP-87 installation for download (on this page: https://it.kgsu.ru/Lisp/lisp0030.html).

[Automatic translation is helpful, but also tries to translate the example program code - we need more artificial or human intelligence ;-)]

Please keep us updated to your progress, should you locate the pdf or make more headway with the Russian translations. Happy hunting, Jim.

Back