• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Capacitor damaged on a VaxStation 3100

jplr

Experienced Member
Someone who damaged a capacitor near the power connector on the mainboard of their VaxStation 3100, asked me for a photo. Unfortunately, my photos do not reveal any text.
I wonder if someone knows where to find the main board schematics for the 3100?
I have included a photo of the damaged capacitor.

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre

Attachments

• ddfd6dc6-da0c-11ee-ad6c-adc8178222f0.jpeg
    ddfd6dc6-da0c-11ee-ad6c-adc8178222f0.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 78
What model 3100? The KA42 schematics are on bitsavers (here), but they don't match the component locations shown in your picture.

CW
Many thanks, I asked my correspondent, but as on my VS there is a capacitor at the same place I would assume they have a VS 3100 model 38 VS42A

Hi,

The computer is VaxStation 3100 M38. I have recently acquired it. I think I managed to damage what looks like a capacitor with the screwdriver, so now I am afraid it will damage the mother board the moment I try to start it for the first time.
Thank you all!!!

Puzzling. The M38 should have a KA42 motherboard, but it doesn't match the component locations in the online documents. Perhaps it's a different board revision? It's also possible the motherboard was upgraded to a KA43 (M76) without re-badging the case, but that seems unlikely.

In any event, that is a capacitor, and unless there is visible cracking/breakage, it is unlikely to be damaged. If you wipe the top of the component with some alcohol cleaner on a Q-tip, you might be able to read the markings on top.

CW

The exact model is: 3100 M38 VS42A-BW. There seem to be no markings on the capacitor.

Last edited:
I looked at one of my 3100s, and I have the same board. On closer inspection, I believe the component is an old style tantalum capacitor based on the pin protruding from the positive end, but I don't have any idea of the value. Like yours, mine doesn't have any visible markings.

I think I have another 3100 with the old board. When I get time I'll take it apart and see if there is a similar component on it we can cross reference to the existing schematic.

CW

I looked at one of my 3100s, and I have the same board. On closer inspection, I believe the component is an old style tantalum capacitor based on the pin protruding from the positive end, but I don't have any idea of the value. Like yours, mine doesn't have any visible markings.

I think I have another 3100 with the old board. When I get time I'll take it apart and see if there is a similar component on it we can cross reference to the existing schematic.

CW
Thanks! And can you please measure the voltage at the capacitor? I do not have a working power supply at the moment. This way only the value of the capacitor will be missing.
Or I just take more than 12V which the maximum on the motherboard and that's it? For example 16 or 25.

Last edited:
Thanks! And can you please measure the voltage at the capacitor?

Unfortunately, I've already put them away. I'm in the process of painting, so everything is piled under tarps.

I did look at an older machine, and it matches the schematic on bitsavers. Page 65 shows the component placement, and C5 (just below the power connector) is a visual match. The parts list (Page 60) has
Code:
10-24455-27 A 100 MFD 10V +/-10% CHI

I think it is a tantalum, but I'm not 100% positive. The only capacitors I've see with a pin marking the positive terminal are tantalums, but the part description doesn't say. Maybe someone else online can provide more information.

CW

Back