• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCSI Disk images for MicroVAX 2000

Nama

Veteran Member
Bit of a noob for the DEC world, but I find myself restoring a MicroVAX 2000. Thinking to build a blueSCSI and patching the system to try to get a solid state drive solution working.
Wondering if anyone here has disk images that I could potentially use that they would be willing to share.
Much thanks and cheers.

Why not get an MFM emulator , like the one from PDP8 on-line? Then you can use the normal VMS install CD or network boot? If you do decide to continue with SCSI I believe you will need new boot ROMS and perhaps a patched VMS.

Hi, yes, I thought about the MFM emulator, but it's a little expensive and I already have a couple of spare BlueSCSI boards left over from building some for a couple of my Mac systems.
Yes, I am aware that I'll need to burn some new patched system ROMs, but I was also hoping that someone had already done what I want to do, and would be willing to share the patched disk images.

I have done it with a MV2000.
First step is to create patched ROMS from 2.3 ROMS then burning the ROMS ind installing them in the system and lastly patching VMS.
The files are available here: http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/vms/pk2k/
The MFM Emulator is a fine and more easy solution as well but does not support large disks and optical storage.
It is helpful for the process to have another (simulated or real) VAX hocked up to the internet from which the VS2000 can boot over Cluster to exchange files etc for the process.
Bootstrapping the VS2000 (e.g. Install VMS) can be done via network or tape.
The Moeller Patch is incompatible with some higher capacity Clearpoint memory expansions (in my case 8MB) - in case you want to use these you should use the MFM Emu.

Hi spiceminer,
Much thank for your reply to this thread, and also for your offline communication. Great!
I will burn the ROMs and build a blueSCSI over the next few days.
My MicroVAX 2000 has the standard 6mb RAM, so probably no issues with incompatibility.

Back