• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

x86 Front Panel Computers?

Hello, Recently I have been learning a little bit more about the binary numbering system and different OPcodes for the x86 instruction set, This reminded me of the Altair 8800 with its toggle switches and blinkenlights, I have been doing a little bit of searching but I have been unable to find...
  2. A

Assistance Transferring/Receiving Files - DOS 3.3

I have received DOS 3.3, it works fine and I am currently learning how to utilize it with the manuals, One problem I have is that I do not own software to run on it (apart from GEM desktop and a word processor), I really wanted to learn ASM but I have no assembler, It would have been smarter for...
  3. A

MS-DOS 3.x Boot Disk - 360K 5.25" - U.K.

Hello, I am looking for a version of MS-DOS which I can use to boot my new PC from, I am preferably looking for DOS 3.1, The PC in question has 5.25" 360K floppy drives, If someone owns a copy or could write one for me please do post, Not sure how much to offer, you can decide that, I live in...
  4. A

MS-DOS 3.2 Boot Disk Loading

Hello everyone, I have finally acquired a Compaq Portable, this is my first real ‘Vintage’ computer and first time using a complete command line interface. Along with the PC I brought a bundle of Amstrad 5.25” floppy disks, I was only really interested in MS-DOS v3.2 to boot the PC. First time...
  5. A

Compaq Portable Restoration Advice

Hello everyone, I recently got my hands on a ‘Compaq Portable I’, I have been looking for a few weeks and I finally found one on E-Bay. I was hoping someone could provide some tips and advice for troubleshooting and trying to fix this machine. When I initially brought it the owner claimed...
  6. A

New to ASM, assistance setting up

Hello everyone, I have been putting it off for a long time but I really wish to start learning Assembly. I have done bits here and there but I really want to knuckle down and start learning (I am at school so I can learn in my free time). I currently have a 1990's book I am learning from for the...
  7. A

What do you guys feel about this purchase?

I kind of let pressure get to me on this one; With only a minute to spare on the clock I quickly placed the winning bid without much thought I now feel I may have made a bad move Here is the listing. Do you guys feel this is a worthwhile investment, did I get the units for a good price? I...
  8. A

Give me a lesson in Dial-up infrastructure (Please)

Hello everyone, So recently I have been getting into vintage technology and what better way to connect to the internet than dial-up right? I have acquired an 8-bit ISA modem for my (soon to be delivered) personal computer which got me thinking, I am really not too clear on how the internet...
  9. A

Search for a 'Compaq Portable'

Hello everyone! I have recently found myself wanting to enter the vintage computer community and I am looking for my very first personal computer, specifically I am looking for a Compaq Portable. I am hoping to get one in working condition, I would rather not get the ‘plus’ addition as I like...
  10. A

Assistance Concerning Internet Connectivity (newbie)

Hello everyone, After having a small play around with an Amiga 500 I have decided I want to purchase an old personal computer to play around with, I am currently learning ASM and hope that I will be able to use the language in conjunction with the old system. I am currently learning x86...
Back