• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. E

Announcing the Snark Barker MCA - finally, an open source Micro Channel Sound Blaster

Yep, after months of work, I've finally managed to get it working! I'm happy to announce the release of my latest sound card, the Snark Barker MCA! This is a Sound Blaster compatible card designed for Micro Channel bus computers, including the IBM PS/2 family. The design files can be found...
  2. E

IBM MCA Card Infowindow VGA Control

There's an old VCFED thread about the jumper card: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?28770-IBM-EGA-Feature-Connector-Card From the photos in that thread I was able to reverse engineer the jumper card: There's a test point in the upper corner of the jumper card. You're supposed to run...
  3. E

Announcing the Plaid Bib - a clone of the Ad Lib MCA

Hi Folks, I've just released a new clone of the Ad Lib sound card, this time of the Micro Channel version. Here is the GitHub repository: https://github.com/schlae/plaid-bib This particular version only works with slower MCA bus machines, like the Model 50 and Model 60. More info in the repo...
  4. E

Found a totally mint rev A 5150!

Today I also noticed that the keyboard plug is different. See below photo. The plug on the right is a late-model PC/XT keyboard with the molded IBM logo plug. The left plug is from the rev A 5150 keyboard. It may look like a replacement plug however the cables are the same length. I'd expect a...
  5. E

Found a totally mint rev A 5150!

So I got *incredibly* lucky on Saturday and picked up this beautiful early 5150 for a very good price. Notice the lack of the "B" stamp on the back, along with the black fan grille: Inside you can see the entire power supply is painted black. (This pic was taken after I replaced the clone...
  6. E

Have a 5161 expansion chassis but no extender card? There is hope...

I've designed a copy of both the extender and receiver cards. Files are on GitHub. They're both confirmed to work in an actual 5161. Most of the parts can be found at Mouser with one exception: the 150ns delay line will have to be acquired elsewhere. But that's only on the receiver card, so if...
  7. E

DriveWire4 on a CoCo1: easy mod to make serial port more reliable

I had a lot of trouble getting DriveWire working on my CoCo1. It gave me lots of "unknown opcode" errors. Turns out the CoCo1 uses a 741 op amp as the RS232 line driver. The slew rate is low enough that 38400 baud (as used by DriveWire) doesn't quite work. I solved it by swapping the 741 with...
  8. E

Hawley X063X Mouse Mark II STEP models

Inspired by NeXT's blog post about the Hawley and Logitech mouses where he crams the guts of a modern USB optical mouse inside the case of the Logitech mouse, I decided to take some precisely model my Hawley mouse so that other people will be able to 3D print replicas of these interesting old...
  9. E

A strange hidden feature of the IBM MDA card...

It's just a QBASIC program with PRINT statements and COLOR fg, bg statements. You could hack something up in a few seconds. If you want the "MDA" artwork at the end, I've attached it here as a BSAVE image. From QBASIC, do this: DEF SEG = &HB000 BLOAD "MDA.BIN", 0 It should also work on a...
  10. E

A strange hidden feature of the IBM MDA card...

The IBM MDA video card has some really odd partially implemented features. Today I fired up my IBM PC and explored one of those features:
  11. E

Looking for Rockwell 6502/65C02 Low Cost Emulator (LCE) manuals or information

So I picked up one of these. It runs and I can get a control console, but there seems to be very little info on the Internet. I've only been able to find mentions of it in the R6500 databooks. There's a little more detail in the 1984 Rockwell databook but nothing close to an operating manual...
  12. E

Amiga 2000 keyboard

Funny, I'm in the same boat and was going to post about it. I've been using my A1000 keyboard with a homebrew adapter to go from the 4P4C to DIN-5. Also I'm looking for a mouse, since I am currently using my A1000 mouse with a homebrew extender since the right angle plug on the A1000 mouse will...
Back