• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Archer Maclean (Programmer) R.I.P.

I have just learned of the sad and premature passing of Archer Maclean, who was one of the 80s generation of individual UK games programmers who became household names. Archer was responsible for Dropzone on the Atari 800 and for International Karate on the C64, among other things. There is a...
  2. S

Pettester versions and manuals?

Probably a question for Daver2, whose fine work this test firmware is. I'm involved in a PET thread on another forum, the owner has a Tynemouth Software ROM / RAM gizmo sourced from TFW8B. It looks like the Gizmo has some version of Pettester available as an option but its behaviour on the...
  3. S

1981 Hazeltine 1421 terminal (cracked screen) Portsmouth, UK.

I'm on another forum where a Hazeltine 1421 terminal - see this March 1981 ad from Byte - https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...-Page-0197.pdf ...with a cracked screen is being offered Free Of Charge for local collection in Portsmouth, England. It's not known if it is the tube which is...
  4. S

Karen Orton SC/MP collection demo video

Many of you may already know about Karen Orton - a British electronics and software engineer who devised and presented lots of retro-technical designs including many which were either based around, or emulators of, her beloved National Semiconductor SC/MP microprocessor. Perhaps the best known...
  5. S

Atari-Forum down?

Does anyone know what's happening with atari-forum.com? It's been 'down for maintenance' for well over a week now (May 21st 2020 as I write this).
  6. S

When is a computer....

A quick one: When is a computer like a big, red headed singer? ..When it's a Dell.
  7. S

Qbasic: Raw binary output to COM port

I have an application in which I need to output some 8-bit non-ASCII characters to COM1: on a DOS PC with Qbasic V4.5. I've knocked up the following code but it looks (on a scope) as though there is more than just the single desired character coming out through the COM port, possibly...
  8. S

Images attached to posts - change portrait / landscape orientation?

Sorry if this is not the right place but I don't see any specific sub-forum for questions about the website itself. In a recent post I attached three photos, two taken in landscape mode and one taken in portrait mode. When viewed on the camera itself (A Canon IXUS series compact) and on a...
  9. S

C64 Mini

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned this reboot of the C64 in mini form, see here: https://thec64.com/ I never had a 64, here in the UK you were usually in either the Commodore or Sinclair camp, or possibly had an Amstrad CPC unless your parents had a bit of money and then you might...
  10. S

Single inline Connectors for 0.1" pitch spectra-strip (Rainbow ribbon cable) ?

The subject of rainbow coloured ribbon cable or 'Spectra-Strip' came up in another thread in this forum. One of the reasons I prefer it over grey cable is the fact that the colours used in rainbow cable correspond to the colours used in the resistor colour code, so the first wire is black=0...
  11. S

File formats permitted as attachments?

I've tried, but I can't seem to find a list of the file formats and permitted parameters for each file format for attachments to forum messages. I'm asking this because I've just tried to attach a .WAV file (ZX81 program file audio) to a post and the entry for the selected file was EXed out as...
Back