• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

MicroPython on IBM PC?

The subject of Python came up in another subforum, which made me wonder: How come no one has ported MicroPython to the 8088 IBM PC? The minimal requirements, from 256K+12 to >512K, don't seem too high. The C code expects 32-bit ints, but there are C compilers for real mode DOS that have that...
  2. J

Protected mode on 286 machines not designed for it

I know that many low-end machines with a 286 processor used it only as fast 8088: the Tandy 1000 TX or TL, or many 286 accelerator cards for XTs. No 16-bit bus, no extended memory, no A20 line. So the usual verdict is they "can't run protected mode." My question is: does that mean only "no...
  3. J

Programming in C with Mike Stump's ZC 2.0

While this may be more of a programming question, it's specific to the TRS-80 so this seems to be the place to ask. Has anyone here every used Mike Stump's shareware ZC from 1987 for C programming? Aside from being in disk collections, I can't find any mention of it anywhere: not on...
  4. J

Any DOS program that tests for MS-DOS compatibility? (INT 21 calls)

(Was not sure whether to post this question here or in the IBM PC section.) Is there a program that can test an alternate DOS for MS-DOS compatibility? Maybe something that exercises various INT 21 calls, and flags the ones that fails? The reason I'm asking is that I want to find some way to...
  5. J

XT hack that replaces 8088 with AVR controller

I haven't seen this posted here yet, but I found this via the Hackaday site... This is project where the 8088 CPU on an old XT clone is replaced by an 8-bit AVR microcontroller. The goal is not to run emulated 8088 code on it. The goal is to see if the AVR can control all of the motherboard's...
  6. J

TRS-80 Model 1 replica coming?

I know in the past, some members have wished for a full TRS-80 replica kit, instead of just kits for an expansion interface or other peripherals. Well, pski's "Model 1 Wikipedia" was featured on Hackaday a few days ago, and got a little bit of attention...
Back