• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. nikola-wan

Tektronix 4050 Emulator - BITMAP image quad-resolution breakthrough!

Great work on the 405x Emulator! Here is the 4010 terminal GPLANET converted from PLOT10 format to R12 format shown in COARSE text and graphics mode, compared to the same file displayed in MIXED (coarse text and fine graphics) on the latest 405x emulator: The 2x2 pixels on the COARSE...
  2. nikola-wan

And in no time at all @WaveyDipole has updated the 405x Emulator to add a COARSE/FINE pixel size selector below the WINDOW size and emulator SPEED controls in the top left of the Emulator window...
  3. nikola-wan

Here is my 4054A screenshot of the two 2001 crew Discussing HAL: There is bright "banding" on the chair cushions and a little bit of "banding" on their cheeks. I believe this is due to the writing beam energy of nearby dots increasing the stored energy of dots already written. I have seen...
  4. nikola-wan

Here is my screenshot running @daver2 original Tektronix 4051 emulator with my change to the dots for text characters to double the height and width of each text pixel - but not change the pixels for the lines. I had to go back to this March 2018 version of the 405x web-browser emulator to see...
  5. nikola-wan

You can still learn or re-learn something every day🙂 I was trying to figure out why my 4050 BITMAP images were too bright on the 405x Emulator - but running the viewer on the same image on my 4052 and 4054A showed a lot more detail. I figured it out today - I had added a feature to the 405x...
  6. nikola-wan

Tektronix 4050 GPIB Flash Drive - now available

I spent some time building Kerry's GPIB Flash Drive and since I had a new laptop, I had to go back through my instructions on adding the Pandauino board support to the Arduino IDE and found my instructions were not complete. I updated the GPIB Flash Drive User Guide and completely revamped my...
  7. nikola-wan

Updated Tektronix 405x Emulator and my 4052 and 4054A Benchmark results

@WaveyDipole updated his fork of the experimental 405x Emulator: He added these features: Added Fractional second resolution to @daver2 's original GPIB Device 2 RTC Added an icon on the top left of the emulator window to change the speed of the Emulator: 1x, 2x, 5x, 10x, 20x, 50x, 100x ...
  8. nikola-wan

My Battlestar Galactica Demo for Tektronix 4050 computers

I also see that I posted the link to the original @daver2 and @Philcogrump Tektronix 405x web-browser emulator - but @Philcogrump's github site for the 405x emulator has not been updated in the last 3 years and @Philcogrump has not posted on vcfed in the last 3 years (I hope he is ok)...
  9. nikola-wan

Tektronix 4050 GPIB Flash Drive - now available

Hi Kerry, I sent you a PM.
  10. nikola-wan

Tektronix 4054A vector computer - Five colors on the CRT!

During weeks of studying how my 4054A display worked so I could fix it - I ran across a Tektronix Tekniques Vol 5 No 3 article announcing the Option 31 Color Enhanced Dynamic Graphics Display. The article described three different colors: green for normal stored vectors, red for write-thru (or...
  11. nikola-wan

Tektronix 4054A with bicolor DVST - bright orange spot when screen dims issue

I mentioned that my 4054A still has a little bit of "fade positive" on the edges of the CRT - outside the vector drawing area. Chris Curtin (Director of Tektronix CRT Engineering for 26 years) just gave me a tip on clearing up this issue - should work on Tektronix 4051, 4052 AND 4054 computers...
  12. nikola-wan

I found out why the "refresh" text was green on two of the test lines by trying to shorten both lines a character at a time I could see that the Option 30 text object must be limited in number of characters or vectors because shortening the lines eliminated the issue. Here is my latest photo...
  13. nikola-wan

I believe I have fixed by 4054A bright orange spot and weird retrace line issue! After lots of searching on how the Tektronix direct-view-storage-tube (DVST) works and lots of trial and error troubleshooting, I found a 1M ohm resistor in the High Voltage Power Supply control grid circuit that...
  14. nikola-wan

One of my learnings in reading the Tektronix ebooks on Storage CRTs is - the flood guns are what keeps the stored image visible and therefore are very important! The writing gun only works when actually drawing lines or dots on the phosphor - which causes the phosphor to charge slightly...
  15. nikola-wan

I made progress on my 4054A display problem today. The 4052/4054A Technical Data Manual -03 has NO description of the 4054 High Voltage power supply. But it does describe the 4052 High Voltage power supply starting on page 11-18 to 11-22 and it describes the Storage Backplate (or faceplate)...
  16. nikola-wan

Tektronix 4052/4054 Multifunction modules available.

Great news Roland! I made progress on my 4054A display problem today. I started checking the high voltage power supply Control Grid power components and R263 was open instead of reading 1M. I didn't have a 1M 1/2 Watt carbon composition resistor so I substituted two 1/4 Watt carbon film...
  17. nikola-wan

Here is my redrawn and simplified 4054 Option 31 HV and Z-Axis Intensity control LTspice simulation: I drew the adjustment pots like I had on the 4014 simulation. The VECTOR-0 is my name for the U616C 3-input NAND gate output. This output does not go LOW until all three inputs are high...
  18. nikola-wan

Now for a little bit of progress on understanding the Tektronix DVST Intensity control circuitry on the High Voltage Power Supply. I decided to look at the 19-inch Tektronix 4014 storage tube terminal - announced in 1979 at the same time as the 4054 - to see if it had more information on its...
  19. nikola-wan

I don't think I have EPROM rot on my 4054A - I had a bug in my Checksum program on the U845 check and was checking 0000 to FFFF instead of 0000 to 3FFF. I also removed all ten 8Kx8 EPROMs on the MAS board of my 4054A and dumped the contents using my TL866 II Plus programmer and recorded the...
  20. nikola-wan

I was working on my 4054A yesterday and had @jdreesen's remake of the Tektronix 4052/4054 Diagnostic ROM Pack DIP switches set up (off) so I could use the DRP CALL "CRC" with my Checksum program. My 4054A with Option 31 Color Dynamic Graphics CRT and @stepleton's 4054A with Option 31 both...
Back