• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

WTB imagination machine by apf

Still looking... thanks!
  2. M

TRS-80 Model 1 ROM adapter supporting 4 banks

updated the label so I don't forget years later!
  3. M

Trs-80 model 1 flaky boot / possible crystal problem

Well, since adding the additional capacitor, my model 1 has booted reliably. No more failures after many attempts. I can only assume it was caused by c43. So, I'm calling it fixed for now and buttoning it up. Thanks for the help and suggestions! On to the next project!
  4. M

Trs-80 model 1, level 1 rom differences

Hi, Is there any differences between in the level 1 roms? I see here there may be at least two versions https://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/zaps-patches-pokes-tips/rom-comparison-page-model-i/ I searched in vain, so would appreciate any insight. Thanks,
  5. M

Well, I have a new crystal to test which is spot on at 10.6445 mhz (thank you Frank!). Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue. When I removed the suspect original crystal, it checked out fine in my crystal checker. And replacing it with the new one made no difference. So, I figured the...
  6. M

Here is an snapshot of my model 1 running the diagnostic image, stored in the free rom slot, selected via switches: The diagnostic image is available here: https://github.com/misterblack1/trs80-diagnosticrom
  7. M

Thanks, a replacement crystal is on its way, will report back!
  8. M

BTW: Here is how I ended up mounting the switches controlling the 4 banks of roms: Now that there is a diagnostic rom option, I'll have to re-do the labels.
  9. M

I was checking out YouTube when this post from Adrian's digital basement caught my eye: a diagnostic rom image for either a m3 or m1: As I happen to have one free rom slot in my 4 bank adapter, this diagnostic rom is perfect! Although I don't currently have a ram issue (that I know of), this...
  10. M

Thanks again for the suggestions: I did some more poking around based on the suggestions above. The PSU outputs have very low ripple (a few mV), so I don't think that is the problem. I carefully reflowed the solder on the crystal (twice), but it didn't make any difference. As far as I can...
  11. M

Thanks for the suggestion, and lead on the crystal. I'm continuing to debug the problem and will report back! Much appreciated
  12. M

TRS-80 model 1 power switch - poor quality replacement

Hi, Has anyone had good luck with replacing the power switches on their model 1 or Expansion interface? I've used these: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/c-k/F4UEE/417520 The one I got for my EI has worked great (so far). Unfortunately, I've gotten two for my Model 1 and they both...
  13. M

Hi everyone, I have a M1 that I've been trying to get working a bit more reliably. The latest issue I'm chasing is a flaky boot issue. The M1 boots intermittently. It is a rev-G board, with relatively few mods. What I've noticed is that when it fails to boot, I get garbage on the screen...
  14. M

Trs-80 model 1 monitor noise / interference

Well, I feel dumb. I spent a few hours debugging and swapping parts between monitors and computers. Before long I was able to get both of monitors to exhibit the problem! At this point I knew something was fishy. It then dawned on me that this might be simple rf interference. I unplugged...
  15. M

Great, thanks for the pointer. I have been reading through the sams computerfacts for the model 1 as it has a section on the monitor. And thanks for the PM, very much appreciated!
  16. M

Hi everyone, I'm repairing a model 1 monitor that was damaged in shipping. I now have the display working and adjusted, but am getting rhythmic noise (snowy) distorting the entire screen every second or so. Otherwise, the display is quite readable. This happens with the computer on or...
  17. M

Bump, still looking for one!
  18. M

Strange button added to my Model I

Anyone have an idea what this button was intended for? Here is how it is wired internally: I checked with a PEEK, and the button is wired to the last row of the keyboard matrix (same as the shift keys), and returns a 16 when pressed (e.g. bit 4). The shift keys are bit 0. As far as can...
  19. M

I had one of these as a kid, and would like to restore one. Any condition is okay. If anyone has a leads, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/APF_Imagination_Machine
  20. M

My floppy remapper project, version 2

Version 4 of my remapper is now up on github Changes: Added support for controlling MotorOn signals. Thanks to Pete (pski) for this suggestion! As I had to reduce the number of LEDS (for MotorOn), I simplified how the current MAP is displayed Increased passive component size to 0603 for...
Back