• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

Why isn't there a DOS forum ?

There is a CP/M forum under Genres, why isn't there a DOS forum somewhere as well ? DOS is certainly a vintage OS and arguably more significant than CP/M.
  2. P

DOS mysteries

There are a few questions that even after working on DOS and seeing all of the source code I was unable to find an answer for: 2.0+ Why was INT 21h/RETF (CDh 21h CBh) added to the PSP at 50h ? Described as "portable method of system call" in the DOS source code (inc\pdb.inc) - portable to what...
  3. P

DOS on a modern PC

I decided to try and run PC DOS 7 on my modern PC - a Gigabyte B450M motherboard with a second generation Ryzen (Zen+) CPU. I got a 2GB SD card and manually copied over the appropriate MBR code, DOS boot sector code and system files. I booted from the SD card via a USB card reader; it works but...
  4. P

LIM EMS 3.0 specification - was it ever made public ?

Was the original Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification 3.0 from spring 1985 (part number 300275-001) ever made public and if so does anyone have it ? I know there were only a few months between EMS 3.0 and EMS 3.2 (September 1985) so perhaps it didn't see a wide enough release...
  5. P

What PC compatibles had BIOS source listings published ?

Of course the entire IBM PC family had BIOS source listings published in the PC Technical Reference manuals but what other PC compatibles had BIOS source listings published ? I know the AT&T PC 6300 had its BIOS source listing published in a System Programmer's Guide, were there any others ?
  6. P

Looking for low-level x86 assembly language and/or C development work

Does anyone know of any low-level x86 assembly language and/or C (real procedural C not the object-oriented crap) development jobs. I did this in the 90s and have a lot of experience in this area including work as the lead developer of PC DOS 7 and a PC BIOS engineer. I would love to go back to...
  7. P

New user posts

How long before new user posts do not go through moderation ?
  8. P

What system and assembler was used to build the IBM PC BIOS

Does anyone know what system and exact assembler version was used to build the three versions of the IBM PC BIOS and the first version of the IBM PC XT BIOS ? It is clear that they were built using some version of Intel's ASM86 but it is not clear what version and on what system. Best guess is...
  9. P

MS-DOS 2.25: was it ever released or was it vaporware ?

Was MS-DOS 2.25 actually released or was it vaporware ? MS-DOS 2.25 was widely documented to provide early DBCS support for Korean and Japanese character sets and was presumably only released in those markets but there is apparently no known evidence of such a release. There are conflicting...
Back