• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Connecting power switch on AT PSU to the case

Thanks folks. What I want to try is attaching the switch directly to the metal enclosure. Wondering if I should be worried about any risk of short between the switch and the case that would electrify the case and lead to a shock? Opinions from people who know more about electricity than me are...
  2. R

Connecting power switch on AT PSU to the case

Hi folks. Moved on to the portion of my 486 build where I'm moving the components into the case. I'm wondering if I perhaps don't have a standard AT case? I'm puzzled by how I'm supposed to mount the PSU switch. Please see the attached images. Perhaps this is a non-standard case?
  3. R

DOS 6.22 setup.exe fails with "program too big to fit in memory"

You were exactly right, it was due to data corruption. I had been using dd in terminal on Mac OS to create my install disks, trying all sorts of settings for buffer size, etc. Instead, I used a boot floppy on the 486 and ran Disk Copy Pro to make my install disks, and they worked perfectly! I'm...
  4. R

DOS 6.22 setup.exe fails with "program too big to fit in memory"

Happy New Year folks! I'm putting together a 486—my first vintage build. I keep running into the same error trying to install 6.22 Plus Enhanced Tools from floppy. It boots from floppy, but then setup.exe fails to run with the "program too big to fit in memory" error. I've tried a number of...
  5. R

IBM PS/1 — Busted power supply?

Hi! So, as part of my journey into retro computing I bought an IBM PS/1 2011 off eBay. This was the first PC my family owned, so I thought it would be a great place to start a possible collection. Maybe not, it seems. Though it was tested as working by the seller, powering on and booting up...
Back