• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. V

CD Backup - MDS or ISO ?

Hi guys, I am going to backup my CD software collection, using Alcohol 120% for the job. Not sure what format I should use, ISO or MDS for instance ? Can anyone please explain the difference between ISO and MDS to a novice like me? I remember something about MDS was the better choice for...
  2. V

A little notice about RetroBright !

Hi, I hate to be the guy that brings bad news, but I stumbled across something I thought I had to share with you guys. http://aktuelbevaring.natmus.dk/afrensning-af-plast-med-retrobright.html It is from the National Museum in Denmark, they have tested RetroBright and will not recommend it...
  3. V

Need help to copy protected game

Hi, I was cleaning out some old stuff today, and stumbled across an old diskette that has been missing for years ! It is an old math game I used to play a lot many years ago. Of course I started the computer right away to refresh those memories but was met by copy protection that wouldn't allow...
  4. V

Proper way to backup ..

Hi there, Lately I have been doing some backup of all my old software. First off was my CD collection. Saved as .iso files and those with copy protection saved as .mds/.mdf. And then packed into locked rar archive with recovery records. But I want to hash all my backups. Hash of original CD...
  5. V

It's time to backup all CDs

Hi there all, I have now finally time to do some backup again, this time it will be my CD-collection. What backup software can you recommend ? I would like to do .iso of them all, and so far I have been using DaemonTools to make .iso. But the issue is some of my CDs are copy protected...
  6. V

Backup of CDs

Hi, It is time to backup my entire CD collection. It is my intention to create an image file of each cd, and also a folder with just an copy of the content (for easy access). My question: what software should I use to create image files with ? Which one is best ? I remember from some years...
  7. V

Bergerac fan ? Save Charlie Hungerford's house

As a fan of the TV-serie Bergerac I find it sad to believe they will demolish Charlie Hungerford's house. If you want to protest against the demolition, please sign this petition and save Windward House: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savewindwardhouse/ You can read more about the campaign...
  8. V

How to remove battery acid from boards ?

Hi I have been changing some of the CMOS batteries in my old computers, but the old batteries had leaked acid on to the board. How do I clean this ?
  9. V

Backup of 3½/5.25 floppy disks and CDs

Hi, I am about to do a backup of literally everything I have. And before I start to backup, I want to make sure I use the best software/method or what so ever, only the best is good enough.. :) So I want to hear what you guys can recommend - backup software as well as which way to store it :)...
  10. V

New CMOS batteries

I need to change two of my CMOS batteries in some old computers. The two old batteries were: FPL Ni-Cd 3.6V 60 mAh and Varta Ni-Cd 3.6V 60 mAh I ordered some new ones, and they have sent me this: GP NiMH 3.6V 80 mAh Can I use this one instead ?
  11. V

Old Phantom Drawning software

Hey I have been watching a lot of MacGyver episodes recently, and I have noticed he from time to time use some software to draw a sketch of a criminal. You know, the kind where you can change eyes, hair, facial etc. (I have also seen this in many movies from the 80s.) My question, is there...
  12. V

Best way to backup 3½ floppy disks?

Hi there I have recently been using FloppyImage and WinImage to backup my floppies. I have saved them as .imz files. Why do I use both FloppyImage and WinImage? - Because even though it is the same file extension, a .imz file created in FloppyImage can't be opened in WinImage. If anyone can...
  13. V

IBM PS/2 Model30 - Startup problems

Hi there again As some of you already might know from my other thread I just changed the battery in my machine as a result of a 161 Error. It still ask for "Set time and date", first of all, how do I set this? Then, if I press "F1 to resume" it will continue to the start-up screen, but after...
  14. V

CMOS battery

Need a new CMOS battery for my IBM PS/2 Model 30 (Error 161). I took a look inside the machine and found a battery named "Panasonic Lithium Battery BR-2/3A 3V", is this the battery I need to replace with a new one?
  15. V

Olivetti M290 not spinning

My Olivetti M290 does not spin up when I turn the power on. The monitor, however, does get power. What could be wrong and what can I check?
  16. V

IBM PS/2 - Error 161

I get this error when I turn it on: "161: Set time and date" I guess this must be the CMOS battery? - how to change and where to buy? "Press F1 to resume" does not work, is this because of the 161 error? Vifa
  17. V

Power Supply dead

Power supply is dead, what to do? Can it be repaired?
  18. V

Apple II - is it dead?

Hey My Apple II is allmost 25 years by now, and it has not been running for a long time. I am mostly familiar with IBM computers, so I hope someone can help me with this Apple! As far as I can recall, it asked for a password during the startup back in the days. But today nothing seems to...
  19. V

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Hey I have some problems with an old IBM PS/2 Model 30. First of all, when I start the PC i get a 161 error (Set time and date) - it indicates the CMOS is dead; it tells me to press F1 if I would like to continue -then I press F1. Now it starts to get complicated!:-x Two situations can now...
Back