• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. 1

Looking for info on and impressions of NEC Multisync C500

I have an opportunity to get one for what seems like a reasonable price. When I search for it on Google I get nearly nothing on it. No user manual. No reviews. No mentions on forums. I thought NEC monitors were fairly popular in the 80s and 90s and had a very good reputation. In fact, I used to...
  2. 1

Need help tuning Epson 14" CRT based VGA monitor

I just got an Epson 14" CRT based VGA monitor. The model number is A804031. I connected it to my Epson Equity I+ machine which has a VGA card in it. An image comes up and is only a little soft ... but sharp enough. The problem is the background looks like the brightness is turned up too high...
  3. 1

16-bit VGA card recommendation?

I will be receiving a 286 machine soon. It has an EGA card installed but I don't have an EGA monitor. I want to shop around for a 16-bit VGA card while I wait for the machine to arrive. The last VGA card I bought was for my Epson Equity 1+ and I was looking for a card with an 8-bit bus card...
  4. 1

The most beautiful and organized collection layout you've seen?

I had to take down my "laboratory" of machines to make room for some guests. While it was a little sad to disconnect everything, I am using this opportunity to dream up of a new way to set up my machines. My setup was getting a little clumsy. It consisted of a low-end drafting table with a...
  5. 1

Upgrading (hot-rodding?) a Tandy 1000 EX with additional memory, storage, and CGA display?

I had a very successful thrift store run this weekend. In addition to picking up an Apple IIc, I got a Tandy 1000 EX with an external 3.5" floppy drive. The 1000 EX fired right up and booted from the internal 5.25" drive. I also did a real quick test on the external 3.5" drive and it was able to...
  6. 1

Bought an Apple IIc - my first Apple ever - looking for guidance

I bought an Apple IIc from a local thrift store for $45. It was labeled as “Vintage Apple Keyboard - Untested”. I have never owned an Apple so I know absolutely nothing about ecosystem. My only experience with Apple computers was playing Oregon Trail and some BASIC programming in a computer...
  7. 1

What to put inside empty 5150 drive bays? Any creative ideas?

First, I hope 2022 is starting off well for everyone here. :) Stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy! Second, I would like to solicit some ideas on what I could put inside a full height empty drive bay in my 5150 case. This would be the right-hand side bay. I have a 1.2MB and a 1.44MB floppy drive...
  8. 1

Has anyone recently built up a NuXT 2.0 system?

I'm not sure why I didn't notice this sooner ... but I saw Monotech is selling a new, modern design XT motherboard in a Micro ATX form factor. There are a few videos on YouTube showing some builds and I have to admit it all looks pretty cool. It's definitely not cheap though! Then again...
  9. 1

Modern 8-bit display cards available?

Does anyone or any company offer a modern display card for older 8-bit machines? I would like to upgrade from my CGA card and monitor to a VGA card and monitor but I don't see many options. It seems like there are more options for Adlib clones, CF based drives, and memory cards. If modern cards...
  10. 1

Lo-Tech 1MB card + Lo-Tech 2MB card?

Does anyone with a Lo-Tech 1MB card also have a Lo-Tech 2MB card installed in their machine? I am thinking of trying this after I get my floppy + serial card from Monotech working. I would use the 1MB card in my 5150 to get conventional RAM up to 640kB plus upper memory of A0000-B0000 and...
  11. 1

Highest version of Excel on 8088/8086? 2.1d or 3.0?

Last night I installed Windows 3.0 and Excel 2.1d on my 5150. I thought I saw Excel 3.0 required a 286.. Can someone here confirm that 2.1d is indeed the highest version that can run on an 8088/8086? Or, is it possible to run 3.0? One nice feature of 2.1d is being able to install it not from...
  12. 1

Floppy + serial card - feedback?

I'd like to add a serial port to my 5150 so I can connect a mouse to it. Google showed me two new options available. Both include a floppy controller! My current floppy controller is made by JCC and looks like a generic clone/copy of something else. The first option is the Sergey Kiselev card...
  13. 1

Installing MS-DOS onto 5150 & XF-CF-Lite v4.1 and I see snow

I wanted to run through the full MS-DOS 5.0 installation process and get it loaded onto my XT-CF-Lite v4.1 card in my 5150. For some reason I see a snowy screen. When I take the XF-CF-Lite card out then I see the normal setup screen. :nervous: The same snow occurs when I run the MS-DOS 5.0...
  14. 1

Drive partitioning recommendation for a CF based storage system?

Now that I have my XF-CF Lite V4 card working with a 4GB CF card, I am wondering what is the best way to partition the card. Back in the 80s and 90s when I ran my Atari and PC clones, I kept everything on one drive. A 40 MB drive simply had a C: drive. Now on my modern Win10 machine, I have a...
  15. 1

Which XT-IDE/CF? Blue Lava or XT-CF Lite or Lo-Tech?

Now that my 5150 has 640kB installed, I am setting my sights on installing a XT-IDE/CF card to use as my storage device. It seems like there are a couple of versions available which integrate a slot bracket. I see one from Blue Lava on eBay that comes with a 64GB CF card...
  16. 1

What general size/pitch screws were used on PC/XT/AT machines?

Just what the subject line says. :) I need some screws to attach a power supply to my 5150 case. All of my "standard" screws seem to slip through. The screw is too small. I need something that is slightly bigger diameter and maybe even slightly coarser pitch. It hard to describe. Thanks!
  17. 1

5150 Memory Expansion to 620kB - modern options?

Now I have a working floppy drive, a stable power supply, and XT<->AT keyboard adapter in my 5150 I would like to expand the 256kB onboard memory to 640kB with an expansion card. Is there something modern available? eBay has a few older cards but I am hesitant to try these after my experience...
  18. 1

5150 power supply options? (Bad 12V line)

In a past post I described how I blew up a C7 capacitor on my 5150 motherboard by installed a CHRONOGRAPH RAMPORT card. https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/genres/pcs-and-clones/1227969-ibm-5150-type-b-a-story-and-a-blown-capacitor-c7-what-is-it I can't get the computer to boot and I starVted...
  19. 1

IBM 5150 "Type B" - A story and a blown capacitor C7 - What is it?

While I wait for my 3.5" floppy drive for my Epson Equity 1+ to be delivered, I decided to buy an IBM 5150 on eBay. It was a low priced "barnyard find" and I understood there may be risks ... but I couldn't anticipate this one. The computer came with several cards including a floppy controller...
  20. 1

Wanted : 720kB 3.5" Floppy Drive

Now that I have a 360kB floppy drive :) :) I am looking for a 3.5" 720kB floppy drive. Does anyone have a unit in good working condition they can offer me? I am located in the US. Thanks!
Back