• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

Anyone who has built up a microchannel system with sound, compact flash, ethernet, etc., was it worth it?

I have that "resound OPL" adlib card for MCA systems from TexElec in an PS/2 77i... and it does what any adlib soundcard does to a system that would otherwise have no sound at all. If you like playing games with anything more then a beeper, it's good and I'm quite happy with it.
  2. B

Wang Series 700B Advanced Programming Calculator Refurb.

Oh wow, thank you making this. I know that at some point I will have to work on the power supply, which means taking the whole chassis out. I did not do that because it seemed to risky to damage the ratsnest of wiring under the connectors. This would make me far more confident to do this at some...
  3. B

Osborne 1 Video Adapter.

I had some difficulty reading what parts were used in the schematic, I would really like something like this for my Osborne 1. So got Kicad going to make a proper one. But I can't quite figure out what the diodes and the transistor have to be (It's not just the handwriting, mine is easily as...
  4. B

Having trouble connecting a gotek to my Osborne 1a to run software

Well... in my Osborne 1 I still have both drives and the Gotek connected to the floppy cable. I only switch the drive select line to have either the A: drive be the Gotek or the real drive. I've put a little board on the floppy header and connected the original floppy drive cable to that and...
  5. B

Having trouble connecting a gotek to my Osborne 1a to run software

These are the CFG files I use for the Gotek in my Osborne 1. The main difference is that I have an older, stock Osborne 1 (not a 1A which I came the double density upgrade... but I could be wrong about that.), so these settings are for the single density drives. Although I think the 1A should at...
  6. B

After going through just about all the tapes I think I have a workable set of recordings that can be cleaned up and made to work with the real machine. 1 tape broke, the bit of clear tape that sticks to the internal reels was loose and got stuck to something in the digitiser. It's fixable I...
  7. B

Ah, I see, that would also be usefull. The hardest part I guess would be the translation between PC bytes and the data structure on tape for the Wang. I could make recordings and digitised versions of every keypress/toggle-toprow combo on the machine, for now saving and loading programs seems to...
  8. B

The new head in the tapedrive of the 700B is still a mono head. I made sure to get a mono head because that would be the easiest to connect. Strangly enough, mono heads are very easy to get (maybe even easier then stereo) and very cheap. Most of those cheap new radio's that still have a tape...
  9. B

It also seems that minor damage can be fairly easily repaired by cutting and pasting in Audacity. The left image has some minor damage to the bottom track, the right image has that fixed by cutting and pasting some valid pulses in their place (ignore the look of the top track, it's not used...
  10. B

Oh, now I see what you mean... I tried it and the machine does nothing out of the ordinairy after setting the toggles to 12 and pressing 04. It simply sets 12 04 into that spot on the program counter. It doesn't seem to give any error, maybe it only errors out once this step is used in a running...
  11. B

The odd thing is, if I use the actual tape in the drive to load those 200 zero's into memory, it works. And if I use the tape adaptor to record that into the microphone input of the laptop and then play it back through the same tape adaptor using a headphone output, it also works. But I need...
  12. B

This is what the learn screen looks like. The first tube is not on (this has the + and - signs in it) then 3 digits on for the PC. 4 off. 2 on 1 off 2 on for the instruction and then 3 off I think. And ofcourse, the Y register is off completly. Set PC screen (with 2 digits of the 3 typed in)...
  13. B

That sounds more like something an Arduino or Rasberry pie should handle. Sadly, I'm no programmer... I can write a few lines in Qbasic, maybe a simple little ASCII game. But that's about it. It would be fun in my opinion to experiment with that together. I know I can get a working datastream...
  14. B

I would have to look into that over the weekend, I was hoping to have another go at the tapes and see if an inverted signal would work on the real machine. Might aswell do a few test while it's on. I don't think I can do anything with the LIST function... I don't have anything to connect to the...
  15. B

On the first page of the document I wrote the board numbers next to the top overview picture. That should give you the info you want. There are also pictures of each card front and back (although I numbered them backwards from the display assembly). Card numbers on the left, L505's on the...
  16. B

Ah, I had not thought about that. But it does make sense. There is only one way to install the tape head, but I could check the wiring. I was thinking about a change in either the inductive of capacitive properties of the head... but an inverted signal makes a lot more sense. This might also...
  17. B

Interesting... I ordered one of those cheap cassette players that have a USB connection so one can "Back up" their collection of music to MP3. This price bracked might not deliver much quality when it comes to audio, but all I want to do is get the data signal off the tape. Now, I have been...
  18. B

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

The "rarest" machine I own is probably the Wang Series 700B, especially the program tapes that came with it as they seem to be written for that machine (a series of calculations on a heat reject and heat recuperation for a water treatment plant) plus some (hand written) documentation on those...
  19. B

Since I have some free time I wanted to do something I've been wanting to do for a while, try and read back some of the programs on the cassettes that came with the machine. And see about backing them up to an audio file on the PC using the adapter. There is also a copie of a hand written manual...
  20. B

Corrupt CMOS even after battery change Sharp PC-7200

Yeah... I know there can be issues... it's just funny that this is the official disk set. 1 HD disk and 1 DD disk. I did notice something odd though when I pressed the set up key on the keyboard with the Shard bootdisk in the drive... it reports some sort of large memory expansion. Even though...
Back