• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

386A motherboard checks memory, but POST doesn't proceed

More details: This is the board in question. Apparently, the jumper that I thought was for specifying an external battery actually controls something else, according to the link. For the purposes of this post, the behavior is the same no matter which position the jumper is in. All 8192 KBs of...
  2. A

386A motherboard checks memory, but POST doesn't proceed

Hello! I obtained a 386DX motherboard (386A), and am having a problem with the keyboard not responding after the memory test is complete. The system will check all 8192 KB of RAM, and I can skip it by pressing 'ESC'. After that, a message on screen reads "Press <DEL> If you want to run...
  3. A

Possible 'Base 64K memory failure' on a 286 build

Ok, I got a different controller card, but I still have the same problem with the floppy drive. I even took the motherboard out of the case (because the case uses a riser card), and tried booting the board with the video card and the I/O controller without the riser. I tried connecting a 5.25"...
  4. A

I tried to change the drive settings from the BIOS, but nothing seems to work. Whenever I enter the BIOS, it wants to believe there's a 360K floppy as drive B. I don't know if it's the battery, since the time and date are preserved between shutdowns. I think it's the controller card (which...
  5. A

None that I could see. I decided to give up on that board. I got another one, also with a Suntac chipset. The board is a Magitronic B236. The battery doesn't look like it's leaking, but there is a jumper on the board for an external battery. The board didn't come with any CPU or BIOS, so I had...
  6. A

There is a DIP switch bank on the motherboard. There are two possible settings for the DRAM configuration I have installed, and I tried both of them, but no luck. I looked at the traces on the board, and there doesn't appear to be any damage that's visible. All the capacitors on the board are...
  7. A

Hello! As I mentioned in this thread, I've built a 286 computer. I went and got some DRAM chips (4C1024E-10 18-Pin DIP, 1M x 1, 5V, made by Micron, 36 in total) for onboard memory of 4 MB. Unfortunately, when I powered on the system, the screen did not come up, so I connected the speaker, and...
  8. A

New 286 Build

I've acquired a new, unused 286 motherboard - a BAM/12S - on eBay for $50. It came with an Intel CPU, and I've gotten a case for it. The case I've ordered for it is a slim AT model, and requires a riser card that plugs into a 16-bit ISA slot. There are three slots on the riser card. The...
  9. A

ATI Graphics Ultra/Ultra Plus (Mach32) part numbers

Hello! I'm looking for an old ATI Graphics Ultra Plus card for a 486 system I have running Windows NT 3.1. I found a cheap ($14) Mach32 card (a Graphics Wonder) on eBay, but it doesn't seem to work with the built-in ATI drivers at any resolution or color depth. Various Mach32 video cards are...
  10. A

Hard drive for IBM PS/2 Model 70

Hello! I just got an old IBM PS/2 Model 70 off of eBay, but without a hard drive. I can't seem to find anything on eBay. I need to know where I can get one of the integrated hard drive and controller that plugs into the riser card's slot opposite the floppy drive (the space seems to be reserved...
Back