• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. CrashOverride

Executive Suite Game Issue

It almost worked. I was able to successfully image it, according to the software, but the disk wouldn't boot. Just for fun, I tried using dskimage to create an image from the floppy it created and copied the image to my Gotek, and during the process it gave me 3 unrecoverable crc errors. I tried...
  2. CrashOverride

Executive Suite Game Issue

I'm having a problem getting the Executive Suite game to run on my XT. I put the game.dat and esuite.com files in a directory on my hard drive and when I run esuite.com, it does nothing and just returns to the C> prompt. I see that it works on the PCjs website. I noticed that it is setup to boot...
  3. CrashOverride

My Vintage Computer exhibition #6

Nice! What's the game playing on the portable?
  4. CrashOverride

DOS 3.30 Quick Reference Card

I just picked up a DOS 3.30 binder, but it didn't come with the quick reference card. Do I need it? Probably not. Do I want it? Of course! I can't seem to find a copy online. I'm sure I'm missing something. Does anyone have a link to a PDF or image capture of the card? I'd like to print it out...
  5. CrashOverride

Game recommendations?

I haven't researched it yet, but all I see on the board is A15178. It looks like a combination video and parallel port card.
  6. CrashOverride

Game recommendations?

So thanks to the help from some members here, I have a fully functional 5160. What are some good game recommendations for an XT with a monochrome monitor? I had an Atari 800XL when this one came out, and then switched over to a 386 so I'm not as familiar with what options were available back...
  7. CrashOverride

IBM XT 5160 E0 301 error on boot

I am happy to report the bolt mod was a success! It took way longer than I anticipated, but I now have a 100% fully functional 5160 XT. Total cost of all parts required: $35, plus $5 in gas to get it. (free Craigslist haul) I'd say that's a real bargain for a 5160 with 640K on the motherboard, a...
  8. CrashOverride

DOS 3.30 Batch File Input option?

That works! Thanks for the links. I tell you I really took the newer versions of DOS for granted. I started out with DOS 5.0 back in the day, this 3.30 installation has given me a few interesting challenges. I am really enjoying working with this XT.
  9. CrashOverride

Getting closer! I grabbed the choice.com file off Dos 6.2 and re-wrote the batch file to use it. Unfortunately, when I ran it, the choice file requires Dos 4.0 or higher. Nothing is easy for me... I noticed there is a PowerMenu application on the hard drive, I may play around with that, or just...
  10. CrashOverride

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Looks like I'll have to change the script slightly as that appears to only allow one keypress and I have more than 9 options, but that's easy - I'll just switch to letters. I'll dig out my copy of 6.2 and grab the choice.com executable and see if that works.
  11. CrashOverride

I need a little help with DOS 3.30. I read through the manual and I don't see a way to do this; I'm sure I'm missing something. I wrote a quick batch file that displays a menu of options and then asks for user input. Based on the number selection, it goes to a subroutine and runs the chosen...
  12. CrashOverride

Nice! That would work in a pinch. I only have my Hakko FX-888D soldering station. I'd have to buy a cheap iron to try that. The replacement frame is only $20 though, so I'm just going to order a new one. I'll still keep the old one just in case though.
  13. CrashOverride

Got a response! They do still sell it. They call it the frame. Next paycheck I'll be ordering one. In the meantime, I'll take it all apart and clean everything individually. It's under replacement cover sets and frames. When you order, you select the type of frame and put the part number of your...
  14. CrashOverride

Thanks, I submitted a sales ticket request to them. Hopefully they either have a NOS piece, or still manufacture it.
  15. CrashOverride

Success! I received the nut driver and proceeded to disassemble the keyboard. First thing I did was unplug the mylar and boot the machine. No error! Also, a nice surprise was that the hard drive works perfectly. It booted up to some Peachtree software. Next step was to remove all the plastic...
  16. CrashOverride

Infocom games on 5160

Thanks! I'll check it out.
  17. CrashOverride

Infocom games on 5160

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as I haven't gotten my new 5160 to boot fully yet, but was thinking what to use it for. The obvious choice for a machine with a green screen and the best keyboard ever made is of course text adventure games! What I am envisioning is using a version of the Frotz...
  18. CrashOverride

I can't believe no stores locally have a 7/32 or 5.5mm nut driver. Figures I have a 5mm and 6mm. I had to order one online. Terribly frustrating! I usually have all the tools needed for any kind of computer repair. Oh well, one more tool to add to the toolbox. I should receive it within 4 or 5...
  19. CrashOverride

Interesting. I did click through all the keys and at least mechanically none are stuck. They feel like they have the same amount of travel. Once I crack it open I'll look at the mylar. I'll try unplugging the mylar and see if the error persists, or if it responds back correctly and boots normally.
  20. CrashOverride

Of course I don't have a 7/32 nut driver. I have a 1/4 socket set, but the socket is just a bit too large to get the deep recessed screws. Hopefully I can pick up something at the local hardware store.
Back