• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

MPM with user buffers

I've just spent a day deep inside the source code for MPM. This a nifty operating system! A scheduler for programs, bios calls to pass the cpu to other programs (which doubles as a timing loop), an accurate clock, and, of course, multiple programs running at the same time. I am trying to solve...
  2. D

Mp/m

I noticed that this Genre is for "CP/M and MP/M" and so I tried putting MP/M into the search and the forum has come up with no hits. Maybe there are some MP/M threads hidden away, but in order to shift the balance for this Genre from CP/M to MP/M, this is a little announcement that we now have...
  3. D

A pair of new (non vintage) CP/M computers

I've posted before on the N8VEM project but this development is just too exciting to keep under wraps. The project is now stable enough to go into boxes! Not quite with all the screws done up, but getting close *grin* See attached photos - this pair of CP/M computers were both just chips and...
  4. D

Pacman on a N8VEM

After much experimentation we have Pacman working on a N8VEM board. We almost have Space Invaders working as well - the 'fire' button works but not the 'Left' or 'Right' buttons. It is a little fast at 4Mhz but by cheating and dropping in a 1.8Mhz clock it is possible to clear a level. Finally...
  5. D

CP/M bios/bdos calls and files

A quick couple of questions for any resident CP/M experts: I'm using the CP/M bdos calls to read and write sequential files. For reading a file it is fairly easy as you put the file name in the FCB, set the temp DMA to the default DMA location of 80H, then call the openfile function, then the...
  6. D

Assembler routines for CP/M

Does anyone have any links to useful assembly routines? I've been coding in assembly quite intensively over the last week and found all sorts of useful things. I'm working through all the bios and bdos calls at the moment. For instance, function 35 can return the size of a file - if you know...
  7. D

Mass storage options

From time to time the chicken and egg problem arises - how do you get the first file onto an old computer in order to start copying other files? I've been experimenting with the uDrive http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-mass-storage-for-your-microcontroller-proje/ In theory, if a vintage...
  8. D

Bulletin board and Modem question

I am wondering if some kind soul could please explain how CP/M machines used to connect to bulletin boards? I'll explain the setup first as it helps frame the question. I've now got a N8VEM CP/M board talking to a PockeTerm terminal board and displaying (in retro Green!) on a VGA monitor...
  9. D

Build a CP/M computer in 90 minutes

The challenge: take a pile of chips and build a working CP/M machine from scratch http://drvernacula.topcities.com/n8vem.htm Parts: a N8VEM kit, PockeTerm kit, surplus VGA monitor ($10 at a computer store), keyboard and a wireless transceiver module. All the parts are big enough to solder...
  10. D

S-Basic

I was wondering if a kind soul might have a copy or link to the manuals that came with s-basic? I've got the program and some demo files and the help file which is very handy to get started. Programs certainly compile quickly on the N8VEM (and faster than MBASIC). No BRUN is needed. S-Basic...
  11. D

Wirelessly networking CP/M

Attached is a screenshot showing a wireless CP/M link. This could have applications for networking vintage computers. The link used xmodem to transfer all the wordstar files, then ran wordstar and displayed (and edited) a wordstar file remotely. Range tests are ongoing, but 5km over water has...
  12. D

Maximum speed for CP/M?

I wonder what the maximum speed is for CP/M? Certainly on the altair simulator on a 2.4Ghz PC I've seen a simulated speed of 200Mhz. But I wonder what is possible on a real board? I've just paired a N8VEM board with a keyboard, small display and started plugging in xtal modules. I have got up to...
  13. D

ZDE text editor question

Does anyone have experience with the ZDE text editor - if so then help would be most appreciated. The N8VEM single board computer is now at the stage where it can write and compile programs on itself. Three text editors are vying to be the one that is chosen (any other suggestions would be...
Back