• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Mid Atlantic WTB large-ish VAX or alpha

I don't have a 4000 but I have a likely inop at this point MicroVax2000(the little desktop unit with a drive and a carry handle. It was working when I put it in storage 20 years ago. I haven't taken it out since then. It has 2 boxes of docco and probably some very questionable media. Right now...
  2. R

Mid Atlantic WTB Compaq Portable Brightness Knob

Do you perchance have a picture of what you want? Admittedly I misread the title initially, but the picture would give me a clue if it is something in my junk box.
  3. R

Ontario [Ontario, Canada] - Looking for a Socket3 VLB motherboard /w 72pin dimm slots

I realize this is a bit old, but have you considered something like https://www.shipito.com/en/ ? There is another service in Niagara Falls, I had to look it up on a map. https://www.usaddress.com/ I have used neither service. another option if you cross the border yourself is to get a mail...
  4. R

What is worth saving

Look we are just going to have to agree to disagree about this. and let other people make up their own minds, as they should. If you received commercially pressed software from Microsoft that had a serial number built into the image, they did not create a special serial number just for you...
  5. R

What is worth saving

Yes I was a member then too. I was in the beta program for Windows 95. My take on the really old 9x stuff is that they don't care. If anything it could be put in the internet archive so that it's in the archive for when the copyright does expire. I really don't think they're going to get...
  6. R

What is worth saving

The problem I'm having with this discussion is that this forum is not geared towards modern Microsoft software. The original poster is not talking about modern software. All of us are talking about old stuff. Over 20 years old. That aside, in the 10 years that I had TechNet which is the exact...
  7. R

What is worth saving

Okay see that's the disconnect you are having. The license is separate from the media. Microsoft doesn't want you selling the media that they make available for free. They suggest users not use software from other sources for security reasons. Msdn and TechNet were just ways to get access to...
  8. R

What is worth saving

Because the internet archive is a LIBRARY they can have copyrighted material in collections. It becomes then a lending issue. Anything that you're likely to be uploading from this era of PC is not anything that anyone's going to be going after you for a copyright on. But that's just the...
  9. R

Help identify odd Semiconductor Logo (square with N or Z?)

I realize this is old but if you haven't figured it out yet you could throw it up on the electronics stack Exchange and see if somebody there has the answer. The other thing that might help is to know what kind of a device it is or what type of circuit this is used in. If it's something more...
  10. R

Are some 5.25" floppy disk not compatible with PC ?

Adrian's digital basement just did a really great deep dive on most of the issues of reading different kinds of 5.25 inch media on PCs. There are four primarily different types of disks that can be written and depending on which drive you have you may have multiple problems reading some disks...
  11. R

Identify backup progam used with tapes

You're not going to be able to run anything like this under Windows XP. As a general rule of thumb if it involves directly reading or writing to hardware then it won't work under Windows XP properly. Your best bet is to run it in Windows 6.22 or boot Windows 98 or 95 into dos mode and not use...
  12. R

RS232 cable speed issues. 9 pin vs 25 pin?

One additional thought on this is the reason why you were having trouble with certain cables versus other cables is how well they are shielded from external interference. The thin cables may not have any foil shielding. They also use smaller gauge wire although you don't want to go too large in...
  13. R

What is worth saving

The internet archive is building a software collection so if what you have isn't on it then you could always scan or take a picture of the DVD or CD and then image it and upload it to them for anyone to use. The documentation is trickier if you have it. Like the other person I'm changing those...
  14. R

can anyone tell me more about this vintage computer?

I agree completely, and it's fortunate that most modern operating support rotating the image on the screen through a key combination. So you can use the screen in portrait mode, most people don't though. I find it really nice being able to open up email on one and web browser on another and...
  15. R

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Yes that was my point there didn't appear to be a jumper on the motherboard for it unless it's under the drive. As for the extra cards those almost never shipped with a system they were always a four digit add-on purchase. Which surprises me based on how many of those cards are around. On this...
  16. R

Just be sure to keep the drive with that controller board. Or even check in the wanted forum since there's a guy there who's always looking for older hard drives. Yay for brittle plastic. That's what you get for not putting it in straight j/k. Any AT Supply would work. It's actually not that...
  17. R

Yeah only has 256k on the mainboard though. talk about underpowered... you would have to do chip stacking just to make it to 512 k if you could even find those chips. It didn't look like there's a jumper either so you're really looking at one of the external RAM daughter boards if you could find...
  18. R

A picture of the actual main board would confirm but it looks like a 5150 clone. It's hard to see but there is soldered RAM in the upper right hand corner of the top down picture so that means it's an 8088 clone. Although the name kind of confuses me because Turbo wasn't necessary until the...
  19. R

Northern Europe Looking for drivers and software for a 3Com Etherlink III PCI NIC.

The drivers would have been different for the pci (32bit) model which was a 3C905, not the 3C509B isa (16bit) version. Either of which are probably on the internet archive. But the OP has a 'compatible' card from a different vendor who likely has different drivers anyway.
  20. R

In regards to the external Compaq Drive, Welcome to this generation of hardware! Compaq was definitely known for this type of nonstandard interface and it was often used for their external drives. If you open up the external case you will likely find that it is a standard drive but this...
Back