• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

286 board +5volt on AT power connector to ground.

Using a DMM in continuity mode might be giving you a misleading reading. Typically the DMM considers any resistance below about 200 ohms to be a contact. The 5V rail on the computer typically draws several amps, which translates to an effective resistance of no more than an ohm or two. In fact...
  2. K

What is this card?

The NE558 quad timer chip makes me thing it's an analog joystick port. I'm not sure what the switch would be for though, maybe for selecting between analog and digital joysticks?
  3. K

Writing Assemblers... What should a good assembler do?

The hardware requirements for CP/M were a CPU that was binary compatible with the 8080, at least 20K of contiguous RAM starting at address 0000H, some form of console device, and some form of disk storage. It seems entirely plausible to assume that DRI would write all their software to meet that...
  4. K

Writing Assemblers... What should a good assembler do?

The first thing that jumped out at me is that / and \ are very similar, but do very different things. It's an easy mistake to swap them, and a pain to spot when reading the source. Most of the time the % is used for modulus. That conflicts with your number type designation though. You could use...
  5. K

Good 8-bit kit for beginner?

Lee Hart has a couple of kits available. https://www.sunrise-ev.com/#microcomputers I have both the 6502 badge and the Z80 membership card kits.
  6. K

Zilog Z80 homebrew computer rs232 problem

The E signal on the 6850 is a clock signal, not a static value. Invert the /IORQ signal from the Z80 and use that as your E clock. It's not quite what the 6850 expects, but it's close enough that it works on the RC2014 boards. Your transmit and receive clocks are way too fast. They need to be...
  7. K

Question about Dallas clock chip modification/bypass

Underneath that plastic cover you will find a DS12885 RTC chip that's probably working perfectly. In order to make the DS12887, they soldered a crystal to pins 1 and 2 and glued it to the top of the chip. They then soldered a coin cell battery to pins 12 (gnd) and 20 (vbat). That coin cell was...
  8. K

Lifetime support?

Any time I hear of 'lifetime' warranties, I'm reminded that the warranty expires when the company does.
  9. K

Adding a serial LCD screen to the KIM-1

One of these items from Adafruit can turn pretty much any 16x2 or 20x4 LCD module into a serial LCD. https://www.adafruit.com/product/781
  10. K

Power over RS-232 idea

RS-232 specified the allowable voltage range for all inputs and outputs. Your +12v and -12v are well within that range. The specification also indicated that the output drivers could be connected to any voltage from -25V to +25V without permanent damage. A device connected to your modified...
  11. K

The case of the mystery capacitor

A picture of the top side might help. The identity of the component the capacitor is soldered to would be a good clue. All the Apple II motherboard pictures I can find show a bunch of ferrite filters there, so more than likely that capacitor is for extra noise filtering on one of the power...
  12. K

Why didn't CP/M use a standard disk format?

CP/M abstracted the hardware away almost completely. The requirements were a CPU that was binary compatible with the 8080, at least 20K of contiguous RAM starting at address 0000H and a disk driver that worked in 128 byte blocks. Everything else was hidden from user programs. As long as the disk...
  13. K

VCF 6502 BADGE V1 - how to enter BASIC

Missing the U jumper would explain the problem. The fact that it ran the monitor was enough to verify that the data bus was correctly working. It also indicates that at least a large part of the addressing is working. My immediate suspicion was one of the high address bits stuck, which would...
  14. K

VCF 6502 BADGE V1 - how to enter BASIC

It works just fine when I try it on my badge. I get a memory size question and hitting the enter key gets me to a ready prompt. Possible things to check: Did the ROM contents somehow get corrupted? Are all the address pins on the ROM properly in the socket? Is there a bad solder connection on...
  15. K

Z280 homebrew board plan

Normal practice would be to have one of the inner layers as a ground plane, and the other as a power plane. The very thin separation and the large area of the planes effectively turns the entire board into a giant decoupling capacitor.
  16. K

Z80Asm help.... cant address FE0AH with LC, Get or Put...

The Z80 IN and OUT instructions duplicate the same instruction in the 8080. This means that not only do they only accept an 8 bit value for the port address, in operation they also put the contents of the accumulator onto the upper 8 address lines. In a system with 16 bit addresses for the...
  17. K

How were VAX/VMS systems deployed during their heyday in the 1980's?

Back in the 1980s the college I work at had three Vaxen. An 11/780 running a classroom full of CAD workstations for the architectural students, an 11/750 doing tool path calculations for the CNC machining students, and a second 11/750 for the electronics students to use learning microprocessor...
  18. K

Who has the slowest computer on the forum?

I have an Epson HX-20. 8 bit 6301 CPU clocked at 613KHz
  19. K

My collection of vintage computers

You might recognise a couple of these...
  20. K

My collection of vintage computers

From on the low end of computing power, this is one of my vintage trainer boards. I have a few trainer boards for different processors.
Back