• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Dallas_Green

Seagate ST-157A sometimes not spinning - bearing oil?

Hello community I have this 386 here with a ST157A, 44MB HDD which is actually running fine, doesn't have any bad sectors and sounds really nice, better then all the other drives from that time. This is the reason why I'm trying to save this drive somehow instead of replacing it. The problem...
  2. Dallas_Green

Plus Hardcard BIOS

Thanks. Ah okay, and the guy in the video fixed it by himself, amazing. He just replaced the little bumper by a cable tube.
  3. Dallas_Green

Plus Hardcard BIOS

Hello all I just found this topic here since I recently got the same card, a Plus hardcard 20 from someone. Putting it into a AT with the corresponding jumper setting just leads to a hanging POST with the message 1701 - controller #0 error. The drive is spinning and initializing its heads but...
  4. Dallas_Green

XT Memory Expansion Card?

Hello all After some time I had some time left to give it another try. A saw that one of the net resister was physically broken and also the pin header for the jumpers needed to be replaced. The little bin bridges where already destroyed by the corrosion. Also I cleaned the rest of the corrosion...
  5. Dallas_Green

Epson HMD-755 20MB Hard Drive Difficulties

Hello I just found the same device with the same symptoms and tried the search here about to see what it brings up. As likely for this old drives the motor just needs a little push after the click sound to spin up. Then it works. Unfortunately it needs this little assistance for every spin up...
  6. Dallas_Green

Bring XT floppy controller from Compaq Portable back to life

Hello community After some weeks without touching this hobby I found someone who sold to me a spare floppy controller of the Portable 1 and it worked immediately. So it's definitely the controller itself which doesn't pass the data. Since on the motherboard I had to replace single ICs as well...
  7. Dallas_Green

Thanks for this Link. Well, it explains then why it must have something to do with the extension memory card since the PCB has about 256k soldered and socked and from their on it was supposed to check the ram on the card then... what failed in the end. Guess this is because of the missing...
  8. Dallas_Green

You are right, it looks quite similar to this. I found some details about here and also on minuszerodegrees there is a manual about the original card. Nevertheless it's not exactly similar. The jumpers are completely different, there is no joystick port and as far as I see it could handle more...
  9. Dallas_Green

Also I wanted to check what the Portable says about the presence of the card. But the post stops with two messages. Then it stops. 4020 201 Then later: PARITY CHECK 2 I just found this thread and comment to this parity check and it seams to be a not working Expansion memory card then. But...
  10. Dallas_Green

Hello community I found this old card in my Compaq Portable while I was disassembling it. It seems to be a RAM expansion card from a 3rd vendor since it appears slightly different to the other parts. I was wondering whether someone has a glue how this card is supposed to work? There isn't any...
  11. Dallas_Green

Thanks for your reply. Well I'll get back to this once I'm able to write something on the keyboard. It still needs some restauration. Also I found someone on the online marked which has a spare part of exactly this controller which he is willing to send to me. This could also last some weeks...
  12. Dallas_Green

Since the Portable is now able to boot from the hard drive (mentioned in this thread/post) I would say that the DMA controller can't be the cause of the issue with the floppy controller anymore, right?
  13. Dallas_Green

Boot from MFM disk drive - How to install DOS?

@modem7, Thanks for this hint with the parameter table. I tried the first jumper setting you proposed {W1: open}{W2: closed}{W3: open}{W4: open} and it worked directly at the beginning. It could read the DOS I put there via the AT the other day. So it seems that this mystery with the jumper...
  14. Dallas_Green

Hello Yes, exactly, this ROM. The drive spins and the LED lights up but after a while it leads to this error on the ROMs output. Is there a way to check this out? This is actually why I wanted to try whether the Portable can boot from HDD but as I know know preparing the drive on the AT isn't...
  15. Dallas_Green

Hello all I checked all the tandal capacitors with a farad meter and they are all good and in its specification. At least the polarized ones, like those shown in the picture, second line. The drives are good too. I tested both of them on the AT as well as with a USB adapter, reading and...
  16. Dallas_Green

Hello @jafir Well I honestly didn't know that there are different floppy discs that I would have to distiguish. I assumed that if I can format and read them with the old 360k floppy disk drives from the compaq (Mitsubishi and Tandon) on the AT that they should work on the XT as well.... ?
  17. Dallas_Green

Here the controller and the capacitors I already checked for their capacity.
  18. Dallas_Green

Hello community I'm currently restaurating my old Compaq Portable and it turned out that almost all parts had defects. So I could already fix the PSU, CRT, floppy drive and recently the PCB with lot of help from you guys. Thanks again for this. The next step is to get the old guy booting...
  19. Dallas_Green

Thanks for your help with the ROM content. Does this sector/track value matter for the configuration? Cyls=306 Heads=4 Sec=32
  20. Dallas_Green

Hello Yes, seems that way. It shows more then 42 entries. Probably it comes from the motherboards BIOS since it sstor mentions something from AT disks. What kind of information were you looking for? Does this help? I did write something wrong before. Its a RO352 device. The original one from...
Back