• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Dallas_Green

Seagate ST-157A sometimes not spinning - bearing oil?

Hello community I have this 386 here with a ST157A, 44MB HDD which is actually running fine, doesn't have any bad sectors and sounds really nice, better then all the other drives from that time. This is the reason why I'm trying to save this drive somehow instead of replacing it. The problem...
  2. Dallas_Green

XT Memory Expansion Card?

Hello community I found this old card in my Compaq Portable while I was disassembling it. It seems to be a RAM expansion card from a 3rd vendor since it appears slightly different to the other parts. I was wondering whether someone has a glue how this card is supposed to work? There isn't any...
  3. Dallas_Green

Bring XT floppy controller from Compaq Portable back to life

Hello community I'm currently restaurating my old Compaq Portable and it turned out that almost all parts had defects. So I could already fix the PSU, CRT, floppy drive and recently the PCB with lot of help from you guys. Thanks again for this. The next step is to get the old guy booting...
  4. Dallas_Green

Boot from MFM disk drive - How to install DOS?

Hello all I wanted to get my MFM disk drive bootable in order to get rid of the floppy but I always end up with the following message, when it attempts to boot from: Error loading operating system from fixed disk. Insert COMPAQ DOS diskette in drive A. Press any key when ready: _ What I did...
  5. Dallas_Green

Compaq Portable 1 8088 - no POST

Hello dear members I just signed up since this could be one of my last chances to bring back a life my old Portable 1 which I stored for ages on my attic and which was working at that time. Maybe someone has a glue how to continue with my diagnosis. I already got the PSU fixed and recapped all...
Back