• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

The HDD isn't the bottleneck. Like I mentioned previously, I got 3.9 MB/s with the DTC card + drivers and the same CF card, which is about 1.1 MB/s faster than I'm getting with the QD6500 + XUB. I can't use the DTC card with XUB because it doesn't have a BIOS socket. Also, the DTC card had other...
  2. M

According to the QD6500 manual, the BIOS address jumper position I used is C800h, so I enabled "Adaptor ROM Shadow C800,16K" in the motherboard's BIOS. It didn't make a difference in the HDD speed tests.
  3. M

I did the HDD read test with a mechanical HDD (IBM 4.2 GB, made in 1997, a few years newer than my PC's hardware) and it was a little slower than the CF card (~2.4 MB/s vs. ~2.8 MB/s for the CF card). I also did a different benchmark which included a seek time test and the HDD was way slower...
  4. M

I might try that, but keep in mind that, like I mentioned in post #710, my DTC 2278-E VLB card with its drivers installed was significantly faster than this QD6500 + Xtide BIOS (3.9 MB/s vs. 2.8 MB/s), using the same CF card. So if the CF card is a bottleneck preventing ~7 MB/s with the QD6500 +...
  5. M

I burned another EPROM with slave detection disabled. It does make it boot faster and the CD drive still shows up in Windows (for now) and works fine, so that's awesome if it stays working like that. I just did the HDD benchmark on it both with and without the CD drive plugged into the IDE...
  6. M

Won't that make it so DOS and Windows can't see my slave CD drive though, like it has sometimes done already even with detection enabled? I need the slave drive to work. Also, do you know why I only got slightly higher speed with the QD6500 card rather than ~7 MB/s like aitotat got in 2012?
  7. M

I found the setting to change the boot order so changed it and burned a new EPROM and that's fixed. A different problem has arose though. I have a CD drive attached as a slave on my primary (and only) IDE channel. On the startup screen it always says: Master at 1F0h: SILICONSYSTEMS INC 2GB...
  8. M

I concatenated 8 copies of the 8 KB .bin file to make it 64 KB and burned it to a 27C512 (ST brand) and I put a 74LS244 and 74LS138 in their respective sockets, and at first it didn't seem to do anything. I suspected that maybe I needed to change a jumper setting on the QD6500, so I looked...
  9. M

I have a 486 motherboard (PX486 P3 with OPTi 495SLC chipset and AMI BIOS [the sticker on the BIOS chips says 486DX ISA BIOS (C)1993 AB0251175]) and even though the BIOS can detect the full size of my CF card (4066 cylinders / 2,001 MB), DOS, fdisk, and Windows can only see 1024 cylinders (504...
Back