• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. clueless_engineer (Brett)

[Thomson MO6] Adding audio-in to load WAV files without a LEP

The Thomson MO & TO range of computers (6809 based) have a similar cassette system to the Commodore - the cassette recorder (LEP) generates the TTL bitstream from the audio and passes it to the computer, rather than the computer doing the work. If you have just the computer and nothing else...
  2. clueless_engineer (Brett)

[MPF-1] Official archive site established {work-in-progress}

Hi, Flite Electronics has set up an official archive site for their MicroProfessor MPF-1 range of trainers. Details of the modernised MPF-1C/1X will also be shared there. http://micro-professor.org/ From Ray (Flite's archivist):
  3. clueless_engineer (Brett)

MS-DOS 2.25: was it ever released or was it vaporware ?

Thanks again! My assumption about the PR10002/3 ROMs is due to the in-built diagnostics having the same version number as the ROM, so I appreciate you taking the time to actually figure it all out. I'll update my Github. I still need to figure out the 50-pin connector so I can upload the...
  4. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Thank you for confirming! Now I just need to get it working on the original PC/4000 & PC/5000 hardware ;) Brett.
  5. clueless_engineer (Brett)

8087 coprocessor for Amstrad PPC?

If you're interested, I'm working on an internal XT-IDE interface board for the PPC, replacing the built-in modem board. Need to get back to work on it ... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5pwokf56wMKMBxEwF7Jkr8V6Q7_fJ6iU Brett.
  6. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Micro Palm Computers PC/4000 & PC/5000

I have dumped the ROMs, available on my Github. Brett.
  7. clueless_engineer (Brett)

I finally got a PLCC32-to-DIP28 converter and have dumped the ROMs from both PC/4000 and PC/5000. There are two 32KByte ROMs in the machine: one appears to be diagnostics routines (PR10002 or PR10003) and the other is BIOS/MS-DOS v2.25 (PR10001). Files are on my Github for the machine. Brett.
  8. clueless_engineer (Brett)

HP Portable Plus (Model 45711) - home-brew expansion drawers?

I do have the correct plug for the recharger port (from a Euro calculator power supply I think), but I see another option could be to install a 2.1mm DC socket where the internal modem's RJ11/12 socket would be (to the right of the DE9 socket). This would allow a standard 2.1mm plug to be used...
  9. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Thank you Sir! That Tech Ref Manual is really good, thanks! I was going to just get a 12VAC plug pack and use that as the charger (once I got my hands on a new battery), but I see the TRM says it needs to be current-limited, and also gives a simple design for a car charger ... so I might be...
  10. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Hey Martin! Oh, of course, the Portable Papers ... good idea, they might have some projects in there. Will check them out. Not sure if the ROMs have been dumped, but I created a Github repository with them. And I'll probably have a crack at drawing the 1MB schematic into Kicad as a...
  11. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Actually, it seems that my 829812 memory drawer (128KB) contains two 82984 daughter boards (128KB each), so it's actually a 384KB memory expansion.
  12. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Hello, I have a model 45711B that includes 128KB of base system RAM with an additional 128KB of expansion RAM via a 82981A memory drawer. Was wondering if anyone knew of home-brew versions of the 1MB expansion (82992A) and/or ROM expansion drawer (82982A)? There are schematics available in...
  13. clueless_engineer (Brett)

I have my hands on the PC/4000's bigger brother, the PC/5000. This is essentially the same machine (manufactured in 1991) but has 1024KB of built-in storage (vs. two 256KB) with a user-accessible slot to add another storage board. My example has a 2nd 1024KB storage board. Unfortunately...
  14. clueless_engineer (Brett)

I wonder if they are embedded on the ROM? When the PC/4000 boots it complains that COMMAND is missing, so something that we need to transfer across. You can see the boot display at 19:48 on my Part 1 video. I should hopefully have a PLCC32-to-DIP converter waiting for me when I get back home...
  15. clueless_engineer (Brett)

They were apparently made in the US by Micro Palm Computers (MPC). I'm away from home at the moment but I do capture the manufacture label at this point in the video (3:53 mark). Brett.
  16. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Most of the chips are dated 1988. Their term seems to be "handheld computer". Interior1 Interior 2
  17. clueless_engineer (Brett)

Thanks Alex. Unfortunately it seems that maybe the company disappeared just before the WWW came along ... I can't find any trace of them (no company website), nor the documentation or other user-contributed items that might've been uploaded to the web over the years. It seems that I was...
  18. clueless_engineer (Brett)

The machine apparently runs MS-DOS v2.25, dated 30-Oct-1985 Command v. 2.25 (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981, 1985 The files from the Utilities Disk are on my Github - I also imaged the disk.
  19. clueless_engineer (Brett)

The Micro Palm PC/4000 & PC/5000 apparently ran MS-DOS v2.25. The COMMAND.COM file, dated 30-Oct-1985, has: Command v. 2.25 (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981, 1985 I have imaged the disk on my Github here if you are interested. Brett.
  20. clueless_engineer (Brett)

IBM PC XT 5160 RAM Errors on Bank 0 - It's not RAM?

Hello, I used @modem7's excellent site to diagnose the faulty RAM on my Model 5160. Depending on the diagnostic ROM you are using, I found it convenient to use my phone to record video of the RAM checks running so I could keep track of all the errors. I have some videos here of the...
Back