• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

Black wires in the center...

I have wondered about this since I got my first PC at home, a 386. Why AT power supplies have two 6-pin plugs for the motherboard, rather than a single 12-pin plug? As far as I can tell, motherboards always have a 12-pin connector.
  2. H

Pentium 4

Honestly, I totally preferred AMD Athlons (K7 and K8, for the early and later Pentium 4) during that period. Both Pentium 4s and Athlons are space heaters to be fair, but Athlons are more energy efficient and powerful. (Side story. Back then I did quite a bit of video editing with my...
  3. H

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

This "make your own combo" thing still exist in many parts of the world. The companies would build the computer for you based on your selection, and then ship it to you (or in-store pickup) in a single box. Many times doing it that way would be cheaper than buy the parts and assemble myself...
  4. H

Did Coppermine-128 Celerons have a Processor Serial Number (PSN) like the Pentium IIIs?

For some reasons, many laptop those days has Socket 370 on the motherboard. I have done the opposite once about 15 years ago, replacing a celeron processor with a desktop pentium iii in a Compaq laptop. It ran just fine, but warmer.
  5. H

Which retro Pentium for Win XP?

My XP build is an HP Workstation xw4600. Core 2 Duo. It has a Vista business (aka "downgradable to XP") license key sticker on it. So it would still consider as an XP-era desktop, imo. I made it a dual boot machine, 32-bit XP and 64-bit 7. There were a lot of Core 2 Duo desktops from Dell...
  6. H

Floppy drive brand (question from childhood memory)

Doesn't look like it. The dent would be on a different location -- more towards the center of the disk's top edge. And it won't be a Teac, because if i remember it correctly, the drive has a spring to push the disk out. It wasn't only for ejecting the disk like the Panasonic ones. When...
  7. H

Floppy drive brand (question from childhood memory)

Trying to identify the brand of a 5.25" floppy drive I absolutely HATE. Before I got my first PC (which was a 386DX/33), I usually go to my friends' place to use their computers, for games mostly. I always bring my own set of floppies. To use a floppy drive, normally, you would insert a...
  8. H

Machinist X99 Motherboards?

Are you saying that the Machinist boards uses recycled chips? I am not against recycled hardware, but why not just buy used computers if we end up using used hardware anyway?
  9. H

Dell C-series battery packs - seeking for info before replacing cells.

Do you mean cracking open a battery pack and replace the cells inside? I would suggest not to do it, unless you know how to correctly reset the controller thing inside the battery pack. Otherwise, the new cells may not last that long.
  10. H

Floppy drive head repair hints please

Curious. What does that have to do with floppies?
  11. H

Well, in that case, I have self-fulfilled half of my wish. :) Thank you for the input.
  12. H

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't need to retrieve any data from the disks (those are very old C code with absolutely no comments). I just want to fix the drives so that they won't kill any more disks. I am in an area where I don't have access to e-waste centers or things like that, where...
  13. H

Those are BASF disks. As far as I can tell, the disks were purchased around 1989 by my former employer. The disks were a backup of the software they wrote (most likely written only once?), and then stored *properly* (in the 80s' standard - in the data center) until around 2010 when they did the...
  14. H

I am new to retro computers so please bear with me. In the past years I collected two 5.25" floppy drives from office cleanups. Both of them are Panasonic/Matsushita JU-475-4 (one was HP re-branded with a yellow LED). Now I am trying to add one of them to my only "retro" Pentium III computer...
  15. H

New England FS: Pentium III 600MHz parts

I am new(?) so I can't PM you. Please PM me to discuss.
  16. H

Texas (Donations please) Bad 8" & 5-1/4" floppy disks

Not sure if it's okay to ask for donations. I am trying to collect some bad 8" and 5-1/4" floppy disks for an art project. Around 10 disks each. Yes I want bad ones -- bad sectors, molded, etc, those you would throw away. Black disks and good-looking ones are preferred. ("good-looking": not...
Back