• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

Best way to figure out CF geometry

Is there a good utility for modern windows (10 preferably) that can be used with a USB compact flash drive to determine the geometry (sectors, heads and cylinders) of a CF card? I have tried using biosdrvs and ideinfo on my vintage 386 system (using a cf->ide adapter attached to the i/o card)...
  2. B

Problems with installing a 387 FPU

I bought a [387 FPU] off Ebay for my new 386 system and was glad to find that it had arrived in my mailbox today. However, when trying to place it in the slot of my motherboard, I can not get it to fit, no matter how much i try. It seems like it should work but like it is just ever so slightly...
  3. B

A20 issues with my 386

Yesterday, I set up my new 386 system using [this motherboard]. I have 8 mb RAM (two 4 mb SIMM cards). I am using a 128 mb compact flash card for hard drive, installing PC DOS 7.01 (aka PC DOS 2000) to use for operating system. I ran into my first problem almost right away. On startup...
  4. B

Crystal 4237b/IPLAW35 sound card won't work on my 286

I have purchased a [Crystal 4237b]-based soundcard called (if I have understood things correctly) Aopen IPLAW35 (seen in action [here] for my 286. Finding [this Vogon thread] through googling, I clicked my way on to the manufacturer's website, where they still host the drivers and an...
  5. B

Attaching a battery to a 386 motherboard

I'm shopping around for 386 motherboards and stumbled upon one such item, available from a domestic vendor via a Swedish online auction site. The price is not unreasonable, but it seems to lack a battery, as per the picture below: Question: Is there any way of attaching a battery to this...
  6. B

Battery/CMOS problems with my 286

Hi all! I recently purchased [this motherboard] from a UK-based seller on eBay. If I've understood everything correctly, [this] is the manual for the motherboard revision in question (3.0). Some specs available on theretroweb.com [here]. The seller states the following in the item description...
  7. B

Good EGA card that fits inside a 5160 case

I recently won an online auction for an EGA monitor. I intend to use it with my 286-in-a-XT/5160-case system and I'm thus looking around on eBay for a suitable EGA card to use with it. There are several such cards on sale from various vendors in Europe, but a lot of them (like this one, for...
  8. B

CF->IDE: WPcom and Lzone?

As described here, I got a CF->IDE adapter to put on the GoldStar Prime 2C multi-I/O card that I bought for my 286 recently. I then took the CF card that I've been using with my XT-CF-Lite 4.1 card (on my XT system previously, and - up until now - on my 286). Without the ISA card and the...
  9. B

Help with dual-CF->IDE adapter

Hi! I recently bought one of these, to plug onto the IDE connector on my newly bought Goldstar Prime 2C multi I/O card (so that I can use compact flash as hard drive without having to resort to my XT-CF-Lite 4.1 card that I used with my XT): The adapter that I bought is a dual-CF-one, so...
  10. B

Risks with trial-and-error testing RAM chips?

I recently bought a Baby AT 286 motherboard (OCTEK Fox II, rev 3.0) off eBay that I installed in my IBM 5160 case. * The motherboard looks like this: * The motherboard came equipped with no Dip RAM, but with two SIMM cards slotted in (one 1mb and one 640kb, if the BIOS memory count is...
  11. B

Northern Europe WTB: Graphics Gremlin

I would like to purchase a fully assembled Graphics Gremlin card (Either with just MDA/CGA or a version with more extended capabilities).
  12. B

Using an XT keyboard with an AT-type computer

I have a beautiful 84-key Model F keyboard (Swedish/Finnish, hence 84 rather than 83) from a 5150/PC computer, that I cleaned up and have been using with my 5160/XT. At the moment, I'm waiting for a 286 motherboard that I bought over eBay, with an AT keyboard connector, that I'm intending to put...
  13. B

Replacing an IBM XT power supply unit with an ATX one

Hello all! Important disclaimer: I am very new to fiddling around with computer hardware, and I know more or less nothing about how to deal with electricity in this (or, well, any) context. I've been considering replacing the PSU in my IBM XT with a more modern power supply, mostly because the...
  14. B

Questions about RAM chip interchangeability

Yesterday, I bought a JUKO BABY XT BXM/12 motherboard to put in my IBM 5160/XT. The documentation that is available on retroweb.com outlines the following configuration options for RAM: The motherboard ships with 512kb of RAM, ie four 44256 ICs (two on bank 0, two on bank 1) and two 41256...
  15. B

The B08 pin and using a card in slot 8

As I've stated in other threads before, my knowledge of computer hardware is fairly limited, and though I'm learning a lot by fiddling around with my IBM 5160/XT and asking questions here, there are still many things that are new/unclear to me. In this old thread, Chuck(G) states the following...
  16. B

Getting a Microsoft Basic mouse to work on my 5160/XT

Hi! Relative newbie here. Before ordering the necessary components for getting a mouse for my IBM XT, I just want to double check with more knowledgable people (ie. you!) If I want to use this mouse (I found this document, which should contain the appropriate specs), I would be able to do so...
  17. B

NEC Floppy drive punctures my disks

I bought a NEC FD1155C 5.25" floppy drive (DD/HD) off Ebay. The drive arrived today and I installed it into my 5160/XT computer. It can supposedly handle 360 kb disks as well as 1.2 mb ones, and was pre-configured (by the seller) to 360 mode. I don't have any 360 or 1200 5.25 floppies lying...
  18. B

Norton System Information fried the XT-CF-Lite in my 5160?

So, playing around with the XT system that I am putting together piece by piece. After succesfully plugging in and configuring XT-CF-lite 4.1 card, installing PC DOS 3.30 to my CF hard drive and playing around with some games in composite CGA mode, I decided to run Norton System Information...
  19. B

Text displaying/graphics issue on my 5160

Hi everyone! I recently got enough of the various parts for my XT build to be able to install my XT-CF-Lite 4.1 card and PC-DOS 3.30 to it and, you know, get it to run to do anything other than BASIC. I went through the XUB update relatively smoothly (the card was supplied with an early 2013...
  20. B

ISA port brackets

The XT I bought recently has got a few port openings on the back (as seen here). I will probably not fill up all eight ISA slots anytime soon, so I am considering buying some blank brackets to keep at least some dust out. I found these to be available for purchase in a webshop, but I can't seem...
Back