• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Not Enough Memory Question

So, in config.sys, I do not need DOS=HIGH,UMB? And I don't need the Shell, Buffers, etc lines?
  2. M

Attached is the output of the Config.Sys, and Autoexec.bat files
  3. M

Thanks - yes I am using DOS=High,UMB. I will post the autoexec.bat and config.sys later this weekend or next week.
  4. M

They are older games like Police Quest 1 and Police Quest 3. They do not need the CD ROM. If I do a MEM/C |more, it does show that CTMOUSE, and SETVER are using Upper Memory, and MSDOS, HIMEM, OAKCDROM, EMM386, Command, and Smartdrv are using Conventional. It also shows that Conventional...
  5. M

Hello: I have a Pentium PC with an issue with a few games stating not enough memory. If I take out the CD ROM lines in the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files, the game loads fine; however, I cannot manually initialize the CD ROM without the line in the Config.sys file. When I put the line in...
  6. M

How do I see how much memory in DOS?

Mine did not. I'm not sure if it is incompatible memory or not. I mean, its Packard Bell, but I thought at least the manual would be correct (unless there was an update that I didn't have)
  7. M

Error When Upgrading Hard Drive

Sorry, I have discovered the Seagate is a bad drive - I bought it on eBay, and it is bad. I have several drives sitting around here that are SATA, and am using the lowest capacity one. Now, I did set it to Type 1, and OnTrack boots successfully. It doesn't detect a drive though - I have the...
  8. M

This is what I did: I did manage to partition the drive so it has a 2GB partition and that was formatted for FAT16. If the adapter is not jumpered as Slave, the PC will not boot. I do get a "Fixed Disk Error" on startup. I am not 100% sure what to set the settings in the BIOS to. If the...
  9. M

So, I have the IDE cable connected to the adapter, and the drive connected to the adapter. I did get it to boot as jumpering the adapter as Slave. (Still receive error on boot of invalid configuration in BIOS) However, no matter what selection I set the hard drive to, when I boot of either...
  10. M

I did try a SATA to PATA adapter, and it doesn't work also. Are these not compatible? I do have the hard drive formatted to FAT 32
  11. M

Packard Bell Legend 610 Boot Error

The new drive came in today, and the error does not appear. Thank you for your suggestions
  12. M

Hello Again: Sorry for all the questions, but here is another one. I recently got a Seagate ST51080A Hard drive, and I do know that I need to use a drive overlay software. I have a Packard Bell Legend 610. I have EZ Drive on a bootable floppy, and I have verified that it does recognize the...
  13. M

Well, we will see. I am only following what the manual says in the Table. It states you can use 4- 256k, 4-1MB, or 4- 4MB sticks.
  14. M

I was going by the manual that said the max was 4mb chips. It has a 82C392 and a 82C495 Chip on the motherboard. The power supply I put in is an AT Power Supply.
  15. M

Thanks everyone. I have ordered 4 - 4mb sticks to max out RAM. You can also add video RAM but i think it would be better to get a video card
  16. M

I apologize for not mentioning the PC make/model with this question. It is a Packard Bell Legend 610 486PC. So essentially, this PC has 2MB RAM. So, I do have to use 4 sticks, I cannot use, say 2 sticks? I can use (according to the manual) up to a 4MB chip for a total of 18MB RAM.
  17. M

I have 3 chips installed, and it still shows base of 640k, and 1024k extended; however; I can change that number per the manual. Should that number be changed to 2048k? Now looking at the manual, it states that it comes with either 2MB or 4MB Onboard memory, then you upgrade the memory. So...
  18. M

If I enter the BIOS, it shows Base Memory of 640K, and Extended as 1024KB.
  19. M

On the chips themselves, the only thing on them is the following: 411Y KM41C1000CJ-7. There are 9 chips on the stick, the top one has the following: KT531000 AJ-60 9426. On the stick itself, it states VT-4MX9A. Does that mean 4Mb? I tried the MEM command and it states Conventional...
Back