• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

520ST games inspired by Genesis titles?

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
Have any of the games from teh Genesis ever gotten ported over to the ST? Any of them? I don't mean the rarer, high end ones. I have three 520's and a 1040, and I'd love to see a few games from Genesis over on it, but never seen any.

I only ask because they use very similar processors and the ST has lots more ram in it and can even be expanded. Must investigate...

Aha. It took me quite a while to figure out you're referring to the Sega Genesis, a.k.a. Megadrive in other parts of the world. At first I thought you meant the band Genesis featuring Phil Collins (??), then some software publisher called Genesis.

I know a number of Amiga games were ported to the Sega, but right now can't think of any titles going in the other direction. Many probably were multi-format anyway, sometimes the console version was a little delayed compared to the computer versions. Probably all of Sega's own titles were exclusive, most notably the Sonic series.

whoops, should have said Genesis/Mega Drive. It seems a shame that there's not a Sonic clone for the ST out there somewhere. Both are great systems. Both need the same great games, though I'm sure the ST couldn't pull off "blast processing." I could be wrong. It's just better cause it's Atari.

Well, you have at least Zool, Creatures, Flimbo's Quest, The New Zealand Story, Terry's Big Adventure plus a a couple of Dizzy games, just to mention a few platform games that partly resemble Sonic. I find Zool in particular to be very close, and it even was released on the Megadrive so you can compare the two on the same platform.

There may be other games even closer to the Sonic series. On the Amiga there was a game called Mr Nutz (Ocean Software 1994) which almost looked like a perfect rip-off. Amusingly enough this game also was released on the Megadrive, like you could never have too many jump and run platform games on this console.

Just checked and Zool was released for a LOT of the different systems, so I'll have to pick up a copy! Mainly to compare it to the ST, so I'll have to get that one, too. I wish I could find more ST anything around here. Thanks for the tips on titles, Carlsson.

Nathan

It's fairly interesting to see the differences between several systems. I had a friend come over a few years ago and he realized I had The Black Cauldron game on my Zenith. Humorously he remembered every hidden item still, but he commented how it wasn't as good as he remembered on his Tandy which could play several notes at once. So evidently I missed out on some musical quality which he thought was significant (both of us musicians). I remember the melodies played by the game perfectly but my memories are just going to be PC speaker tunes.

er.. think I just ranted instead of something more useful towards my comment. It'd be neat to compare Amiga, Atari, TI, Apple, and/or Tandy games together. Just see what the market looked like on different systems.

Last edited:
TI? I'm afraid those games will look the worst of them all. Apple is also a bit vague, perhaps IIGS games or of course Macintosh ones should be compared to Amiga, ST, Tandy 1000, IBM PC etc.

Nathan: Here are a few links to games sites which you may or may not have seen before. Atari Legend is rather comprehensive while Little Green Desktop is a bit more spartan. Lemon Amiga obviously deals with the "other side" but cross links to as many other sites as possible.

Atari Legend: http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_main.php
Little Green Desktop: http://www.atari.st/games.php
Lemon Amiga: http://www.lemonamiga.com/

Atari Legend lists 229 platform games, while Lemon Amiga has 284 games listed in the genre Platformer - Scrolling Screen. Far from all are Sonicesque and many may be Amiga specific.

Anyway, perhaps you could suggest some other typical Sega Genesis titles you haven't quite found alternatives to on the computer side.

Desert Strike?

No ST version?? Thats weird.

Cool Spot?

Hmmm the same, I'm glad I had an Amiga at the time...

Goldenaxe?

Apparently a conversion of the more arcade accurate Amiga version...

Last edited:
I did locate Zool for the SNES today, though no Mega Drive or ST versions in sight yet. I have yet another reason to have these games!

Thanks for the links, Carlsson, I'll check it out.

The most widely platformed game I can think of is Pitfall, Mayan Adventure, so far as I know: SNES, Genesis, 32X, Windows/DOS, Apple OS?, Sega CD.

Headed to links above...

Well, you have at least Zool, Creatures, Flimbo's Quest, The New Zealand Story, Terry's Big Adventure plus a a couple of Dizzy games, just to mention a few platform games that partly resemble Sonic. I find Zool in particular to be very close, and it even was released on the Megadrive so you can compare the two on the same platform.

There may be other games even closer to the Sonic series. On the Amiga there was a game called Mr Nutz (Ocean Software 1994) which almost looked like a perfect rip-off. Amusingly enough this game also was released on the Megadrive, like you could never have too many jump and run platform games on this console.

I played Zool first on a Win95 box, then found out it was on consoles later, heh..

Good game, if a bit excessive with the wierd candy-based graphics.

I found the scrolling in Zool to be a little too fast giving it a less than solid "feel".

Yeah, I'm talking about the original version.

Last edited:
Back