• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

8296 bad PLA

Bish500

Experienced Member
I have a non-functional 8296. The PLA at U5 is super hot as soon as it’s powered up. I’m assuming it’s bad. Does anyone know of a replacement PLA for this machine?

Thanks!

Bish500

Experienced Member
I’ve been looking at doing that. There’s an article called “How to replace the PLA UE5 in a CBM8296 with a GAL 20V8” written in 2005 by Nicolas Welte that looks promising, but the adapter would be difficult to make. The article is here: http://x1541.de/

I was hoping someone had come across a more ready-made solution. I looked into something called the PLAdvanced which could be used to replace PLAs in the following devices: Commodore 64 (and SX64), 1551 floppy drives, the CBM 6×0, CBM7xo, Commodore 16 (and C116 & plus/4), the CBM 8296 UE5, the CBM 8296 UE6, the P500 U78 and the P500 U88 (and U78).

It looks like it stopped being available in 2018 though.

Last edited:

iz8dwf

Veteran Member
Does anyone have the JEDEC files for the two 8296 PLAs? I can program them if I had the JEDEC files and it would be a single chip replacement.

Same here, I can program them too. Also, I can re-compile the equation to make a valid jedec file if the equations are available, or I can reverse engineer the equations if someone has a binary (ROM-like)
dump.
I haven't looked too hard to find these files since so far I haven't made any 8296 repair anyway.
Frank

Dave_C78

Veteran Member
Hi guys, can i download the two ue5 and ue6 pla bin files from zimmer site and burn it on 27c512 eprom with adapter?
Thanks!

mister-freeze

Same here, I can program them too. Also, I can re-compile the equation to make a valid jedec file if the equations are available, or I can reverse engineer the equations if someone has a binary (ROM-like)
dump.
I haven't looked too hard to find these files since so far I haven't made any 8296 repair anyway.
Frank

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10RqxCNOR9oaRIGEmVC70-qaPI0ojySh-/view?usp=sharing

since I don't have any 8296 to test these maps, use at your own risk

Frank

@iz8dwf
Frank,
I would like to use the .jed to burn 8296 PLAs with 82S100/PLS100 Chips. But before I brick them I wanted to ask you the following:
The .bin files from above are exactly the files to create an EPROM PLA Replacement. The pin order of the input and output pins does not correspond to the PLS100-PLD. pin numbering. The PINS were used in a way that the physical position of the Eprom pins fits best.
Did you consider this when creating the .jed's ?
If it helps I can do a bin-dump of the 8296 PLA's with the "correct" pinout.

(And thanks for the video regarding the C64 PLA and the Soviet chip !! I puzzled around for ages but your tip with the 2 missing lines in the DATAIO-Jedec was the solution.The information for the 2 missing lines could well be taken from the jumbled Jedec file).

Many greetings,
Chris