• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A real TRS salesman still around!

I was in the RadioShack looking for some cords for my newly build workstation (a whole 'nother story), when a man, somewhere in his 60's came up to me and asked me if I needed help. Keep in mind I'm a 17 year old. I told him that I was building some desks were I can set up my vintage computer collection. He looked interested, and asked me if I had any TRS stuff. I told him I have a Model III and I'm making room for more.

He told me that he sold hundreds of Model I-IV and Tandy computers. More interestingly, he still has a lot of the computers, he says close to one of each model. He told me he wouldn't be much of a salesman if he didn't know what he was selling. We talked for about half an hour about "the good old days" of computing. It just goes to show you that there are a lot of people without recognition out there, and those people aren't just programmers that made unpopular games that tested a computers abilities. You gotta respect the guy, selling those things must not of been easy, especially with the well known nick name "Trash-80s" for TRS-80s. He said people even called Tandys "Trashys" to follow the trend. I didn't know that either. Just thought you guys would be interested in this little story.

I think thats realy cool. I would love to have him over my house so he can teach me about all the great features my TRS-80 has!

You know I've noticed that I find a lot of older guys (no offence to the ladies, but they are mostly guys) that are knowledgeable about older computers amongst those that are into Ham radio. I also have noticed that there are quite a lot of ham radio apps for linux.
Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these guys had homebrew "wifi" setups for their machines before it was even commercially available. Anyone know (or had heard of) anyone who did something like that?

Back