• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AMD 5x86 Voltage

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Has anyone tried running the 5x86 (nominally 3.45 volts) at 3.3 volts? My 486 mobo supports 3.3 & 5 volts. Just looking for the easy way out. I have 2 chips inbound, one with the fan assembly, but I don't know if it has the built-in 3.45 regulator. :wow:

Has anyone tried running the 5x86 (nominally 3.45 volts) at 3.3 volts? My 486 mobo supports 3.3 & 5 volts. Just looking for the easy way out. I have 2 chips inbound, one with the fan assembly, but I don't know if it has the built-in 3.45 regulator. :wow:
I suppose I should have done a little more homework on 5x86. The spec on the chip's voltage is +/- .15 volts so that puts it right in the ballpark.

In my experience the voltage tends to be a little higher then that is should be anyway, so 3.3 setting might be 3.4x anyway. Yea there is a little slop factor in those specs, you just have issues if you run too far under them.

You can feel free to *test* an Am5x86 even at 5v, they are very tolerant. Supposedly running them at that voltage will damage them eventually, but I've run them upwards of a month (several hours a day) without trouble in the past. They definitely work on 3.3v fine.

Also, I believe this is more of a 486 question, regardless of the power of the chip being compared to a P75 through marketing.

Back