• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any HP=UX types here?

afleetcommand

I have a HP9000 715/100XP thats giving me a puzzle trying to get "X" (11) to start. I'm trying to piece together a "Vue" installation on a machine that had "Desktop"...but it looks like the script "vuerc" stops when trying to start "X"...

Also looking for the best way to boot from another system's drive over ethernet...those machines "lan devices" are listed as bootable devices but won't boot. Basically I have an old HP9000 750/66 tower that has a corrupted /etc/passwd file...hpux hell. This makes it impossible to even boot to a single user mode. I don't know of any other way to selectively replace that file or edit that file with the options I have available booting to the "scsi.6.0 isl" level. I guess an option I will try is to build a system recovery tape from another system and boot from that tape, attempt to get to single user, and then attempt to mount the offending disk with the corrupted /etc/passwd file. I would like to use one of the other systems I have on the "lan" instead (I have a HP720, another PA7000 based system thats has virtually the same processor and unix configuration) . A convenience factor. What shows on the list of bootable devices is simply the "lan" device IP address. I need to figure out how to get one of the other systems drives....ie. instead of something like the scsi.6.0 entry on the problem systems list, a unique name for those drives on one of the other working systems on my little network, with a bootable image.

Last edited:
Issue number one part way solved...(X server issue)
For what ever reason the system is having a tough time resolving the "hostname" or this particular system's name in the generic "Xservers" script entry. So I added a server entry with the "hostname" that matched what I had placed in the "/etc/hosts" file and the two other places I know to set that name. So now a "Xserver" starts and "Vue" runs but still returns an error relative to the system's "hostname" although "Vuelite", a cut down version of "Vue"; runs fine.

So next issue.

Why the problem setting a name for this system?

Never actually netbooted HPUX... Could be fun. How about connecting external SCSI CDROM and booting to -is from a HPUX CD? Also when in ISL (ILS?) see if you have online diagnostics (ODM?) I think "LS" command - you can boot it instead of HPUX kernel. There might be some stand alone shell or editor there.

As for VUE/CDE here's my notes from my HPUX past:

hosts: files [ NOTFOUND=continue ] dns

hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue

TRYAGAIN=continue] dns [NOTFOUND=return UNAVAIL=return TRYAGAIN=return]

/etc/rc.config.d/netconf

1.) rpc.ttdbserver in inetd.conf is wrong configured:

Maybe it looks like (ignore the lien wrapping):

rpc stream tcp swait root /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver

/usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver -G

What it should be for HP-UX 11.00 is:

rpc xti tcp swait root /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver

/usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver

(replace "stream" by "xti" and remove the "-G")

change it (or simply comment this out this line as you won't need it

assumingly), restart inetd, and try to login again.

2.) Hustle with TT_DB directories on NFS home directory mounts:

can be tested by un commenting the rpc.ttdb line as described above.

solving is described in a document I could send you then.

3.) /tmp requires permission 777

thread hijacking, hp-ux, openbsd, and linux

thread hijacking, hp-ux, openbsd, and linux

I have a HP9000 715/100XP thats giving me a puzzle trying to get "X" (11) to start.

I would like to use one of the other systems I have on the "lan" instead (I have a HP720, another PA7000 based system thats has virtually the same processor and unix configuration) . A convenience factor. What shows on the list of bootable devices is simply the "lan" device IP address. I need to figure out how to get one of the other systems drives....ie. instead of something like the scsi.6.0 entry on the problem systems list, a unique name for those drives on one of the other working systems on my little network, with a bootable image.

I have a 715/80 "King Gecko" as well. Unfortunately, it didn't survive past a weak single user mode, with much of the hard disk bad. I put a ibm 80 pin scsi disk in, and converted and terminated it down to 40 pin.

I tried for some time to aquire HP-UX, preferably the 10. or 11. series, either the bsd-based version or the sys v/bsd hybrid version. It proved difficult to acquire even legitimately. I posted to an hp-ux newsgroup. I was made an offer for an unused copy by a sysadmin, but he failed to deliver. I was then flogged for not using a new and supported system, but thats now how we play with computers in Flint, MI. I also upgraded the memory to its full 128MB capability.

I netboot installed openbsd. openbsd is quite capable, and accessible both over keyboard/monitor and serial. Though the console works, there is no framebuffer or video device driver to use free X with at this time. There is support for both the network device and scsi device. I found both devices to be very slow, though, peaking at about 8MB/s on scsi, and 400K/s on network. The audio device is also supported, and the little 80mhz beast can play an mp3 like any early pentium. I found it to be as responsive as an intel ppro 166.

I was really just interested in experiencing a commercial unix, but I quickly learned why people throw these old machines out! Without these open source bsd's, I wouldn't have anything to put on it! I put it to work for a year or so, and its now retired.

I once logged into a pa-risc linux install remotely, and its' dmesg was filled with network card issues and it locked up often under load. From this, I wouldn't recommend anybody run linux on this architecture unless they enjoy the self mutilation.

Regardless, I am no longer interested in this machine, as I was only interested in HP-UX, and am happy with openbsd on sparc64, macppc, or my x86 router.

Damn...I've been doing hay and tons of farm related things! Don't give up..I may be able to help find you a HPUX v10.x or even an 11. PM me or email.

Do you have a "dat tape" drive? I can use "dd" and build a boot tape or even take an old scsi disk drive with a unix build and lend it to you if your interested. You can "Daisy Chain" those disks and boot from one then "dd" an image to the other. Wonder if there is a way to do this over the internet building "tar" images or even "kermit" images.

Don't throw that old HP away..thet are a real hoot when running right.

I also need a Apollo Domain image so if any out there have an idea on where to find one..I have an HP/Apollo DN400 with a wasted disk..So I want to find a compatable scsi disk and an image. I have a bunch of old SW for those old Apollo's with no where to run the old stuff.

As the seasons change...the farming chores go from outside to inside. I'd like to TRY and find more folks who like to bring these things back to life!

Back