• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone try the "FreeAXP" emulator?

barythrin

Veteran Member
Just browsing around another list and despite it looking like a spam at first it seems legit although I guess they will or do have some commercial variant as well.

This may or may not be old enough to be unix or OT. Anyway, FreeAXP seems interesting. Probably a fun/easy way to play with openvms. I'm not yet 100% sure what use this would have and of course I have a few alpha series systems (only one I never got working was the darn vaxstation). But my other two Alpha's were running Tru64 and VMS (hobbiest license).

Anyone use this before?

Yet more OT comment: awesome! I've been wanting an Alpha emulator to check out the Windows builds for that platform for a while yet, but the only ones for x86 I've found of yet have been costly. :D

That's certainly an interesting use for it. Didn't think about that one. Let us know how it goes, they don't have it listed as a tested OS so maybe that would shed some light for them as well. In the back of my mind I was kind of thinking "doesn't VMS/DEC license the OS based on hardware? This doesn't sound fully supportable" but I think they must be only emulating an AlphaServer 400. I didn't read much into it but that would solve some of the issues since the OS wouldn't be happy with a license for another machine unless it could emulate the different hardware/ids correctly.

On the bright side I think all NT 4.0 disks (or was it 3.51) had the Alpha version on them. The only trick was to update your ROM (well I guess it could just be a boot loader but it certainly felt like it's a rom/bios flash years ago when I last played with it). Either way, that's about the only trick I recall.

3.51 didn't have an Alpha version, the multiplatform craze at MS started at NT4 and ended somewhere before the official release of Win2k iirc. There are a few beta builds of other versions besides NT4, but I don't recall if I have any in my collection, we'll see.

3.51 didn't have an Alpha version, the multiplatform craze at MS started at NT4 and ended somewhere before the official release of Win2k iirc. There are a few beta builds of other versions besides NT4, but I don't recall if I have any in my collection, we'll see.

NT 3.51 does have Alpha version, along with MIPS, PPC, and i386 versions. At least, there are subdirectories with those names on my Jan 1996 NT 3.51 disc. My NT 3.1 discs are only in MIPS and i386 flavors; there is paper talking about the Alpha version but I don't have one that I can find.

Back