• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ASUS m/b destroying serial mice with -12V!

Oh well, I tried. I'll have to stick with USB mouse or mouse over ISA serial card then and will mark the board as having faulty serial ports.

I wonder how it happened though. Is it possible that my phone pulled too much current from the 5v rail and could that have killed off the UART part, do you think? And whatever happened also seemed to kill one mouse. Inside the non working mouse there are mainly passives and a controller chip... it has an HM8375CP chip. I can't find any data about it, apart from other people that also found that chip in similar mice. If I ever come across a mouse with the same chip, I'll swap them and test it, but it's probably not worth actively seeking such a chip.
Is it possible too much current went through the phone charger? Yes, the molex connector can supply 11 amps and if that goes the wrong way, something bad will happen. That may not have caused any problems for your system and the failure could have a completely unrelated cause.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have made my usual rant about companies shaving pennies off a product and hoping that the other devices will protect against possible damage.

Ok, I removed the ISA serial card and enabled just the serial port 1 in the BIOS with its IRQ as 4. There is a PCI video card, no other cards are installed. A breakout 9 pin port is connected to the serial port 1 on the m/b (with the stripe on the pin 1 side). I made a loopback cable that connects pin 3 to 4 (and 7 to 8 and 1 to 4 to 6 to 9). I booted from an MS DOS 5 disk I had laying around and for now have just been using Checkit to test.
I asked you to only cross Tx/Rx and check with a terminal program to rely on as few functional pins as possible. :)
The board in question has two serial ports, do they behave identically?

I answered Y to 'is a loopback cable connected'. It recognised there was a COM 1 but it fails like the image shows. If I answer no to the loopback question then it passes all tests.
Assuming that the cable is correct, it sounds like the UART pretends to be functional, but its external interface is not. Electrical faults tend to hit the line drivers, and assuming that they do not pass the failure on, there is hope that the UART itself still works.

One way to test is to cross Tx/Rx between the southbridge and the line drivers (which carries the signals at TTL level and likely inverted) and check if echo works there. You might need to disconnect the line driver chips first.

If I load ctmouse before checkit, ctmouse does report that it has loaded a mouse to COM 1. And Checkit thinks a mouse is there on COM 1 but it simply doesn't respond at all to the mouse test (no movement, no button presses).
You should use "CTMOUSE /Y" when loading to prevent Mouse Systems mode. The Microsoft mouse protocol can be identified, the Mouse Systems protocol cannot. So if CTMOUSE reports the mouse in "Mouse Systems mode", then it has not found anything in the first place and just hopes for the best. In other words, without the /Y switch, it will always succeed (but not work).

So it must be something hardware related on the m/b, right? It did just stop working one day, so I suppose something randomly failed and as I've changed the GD75232's they can probably be ruled out. I've also de-oxit'd the headers on the m/b and also reflowed the solder on them. Traces are tiny and go under stuff so it's hard to inspect them properly.
You only have a small number of variables here: The southbridge chip with two ports, some traces, and two line drivers. It should be relatively easy to see if the southbridge outputs work at all. If they do, you can contrapt anything to fix the ports eventually; otherwise you are out of luck. Since you have two ports on the same chip, the failure could affect one or both equally.

Is it possible that my phone pulled too much current from the 5v rail and could that have killed off the UART part, do you think? And whatever happened also seemed to kill one mouse. Inside the non working mouse there are mainly passives and a controller chip... it has an HM8375CP chip.
It is very unlikely that a USB connected phone charger causes that kind of damage. However, your power supply may have failed, causing the -12V rail to break (or the +12V, but that should cause other issues as well). The UART line drivers use that rail (and the mouse as well, as it is powered through the signals). A failing line driver may have damaged the southbridge (by passing 12V to it), but it should not have damaged the mouse.

Alternatively, fatigue or heat or age may have caused the soldering balls on the southbridge chip to have failed.

Thanks for all your input Svenska. It's now built and a working system and is also very practical for testing pretty much all the socket 7 CPUs. I may re-visit one day. For now I'm happy that everything else seems to work.

Back