• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T 3B2 boot up and hard disk issues

primitive_computer

Hello!

I have an AT&T 3B2/310, and have been having a few issues relating to the hard drive that I think are stopping the boot-up process. The machine itself is clean, and I successfully crafted a console cable, and can view the boot routines. With the built in 72MB MFM drive installed, it fails the diagnostics and says that the FsMagic number is wrong on the hard disk. It is an old drive, and appears to be the unit that came with it from AT&T. So I removed that hard disk, and installed a DREM MFM emulator. I'm attempting to boot into a disk image created by the 3B2 emulator, but I'm not sure how to configure the DREM device to properly interface with the board. I've attempted to use the DREM device to boot from a floppy disk image into a maintenance utility, but I can't get either device to work; I think it's because the geometry or interface settings on the DREM aren't quite right. I've reviewed the documentation from AT&T but there's not much specific information about the geometry of the hard disk or floppy disk drives.

The AT&T 3B2 emulator at loomcom.com as well as the documentation there and on bitsavers were invaluable troubleshooting resources during this process.

Any suggestions about how I might either configure the DREM emulator OR perhaps boot from the old hard drive? The specific error generated during the boot diagnostics with the original hard disk drive installed do not appear in the troubleshooting flowcharts from AT&T, or at least none of the charts that I have been able to collect. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions/advice!

Back