• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bios search for Gateway 2000 P5-60, and other issues

I did try that, actually, even on the Diamond S9250 which I got New-In-Box (though of course New-Old_Stock, leaving oxidation as a potential issue) - the anti-static bag was still sealed with the sticker and the box plastic wrapped, I actually felt a little guilty opening it! :D

One of my other hobbies is repairing/restoring vintage electronics - radios, record players, etc - tube tech especially. DeOxit is a staple for that hobby between tube pins & sockets and potentiometers for volume, balance, tone etc.

The Diamond 9250 wound up on the SBC PC I built, where it works fine, so it wasn't wasted. And I've finished my work on the P5-60, though now I guess it's a P5-233MMX. It has 256MB RAM, a GeForce 6200 PCI vid card and an Allegro ESS1989 PCI sound card. Couldn't resist replacing the fans with a bit more bling too :D The HDD was replaced by that CF card in that front slot; I plan on using another CF card and imaging its original HDD to it, so I can just swap the cards to boot to DOS or Win98SE as desired. The old Mitsumi-Creative CD-ROM at the top is non-functional, just filling a space. I pondered installing a temp-fan control panel I have in that space, but that thing introduces a wiring mess to the interior and I don't think it's worth the hassle.

The main thing this will get used for is as a controller for the collection of printers and plotters I have, though it's location will also attract use for basic gaming and such too, no doubt. As well, being near the Apple II - Corvus Transporter network I'm building, it'll wind up on that too, once I find a PC Transporter card.

Attachments

• P5-60 redux.jpg
    P5-60 redux.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back