• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Blue-screen when updating USB drivers, win98

hunterjwizzard

Veteran Member
I bought a lovely little pentium II from the consignment area at VCFSoCal which I plan to use as a DOS gaming system. It came with win98 preloaded on a spinning disk which I want to keep. Now I don't know if it was like this on first boot, but at present the USB Root Hub is saying device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. When I try to update the driver, it blue-screens. I'd like a solution other than re-format the drive.

Could you describe the system in some detail? Is it Win98 or Win98SE? Makes a difference in terms of potential causes. Some early USB motherboard ports only worked with a few devices because of bugs.

The motherboard is an Asus P2L97 with a 333mhz Pentium II processor and 64mb of RAM. The operating system is in fact Windows 98 none-SE(just noticed that, rats).

So I went ahead and upgraded to 98SE, and everything suddenly works great. Problem solved!

I'm really glad I didn't have to format it. The computer previously belonged to "Jim's Wholesale Meats" which according to the screensaver was the best business in town.

Back