• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CMOS setting spoof or 1701 bypass

I'm aware, but I wanted to test the software with a known working setup first.

I just tested it with a 5150CX and the 5150XL and it can detect neither of them. They are both completely invisible to IDESDI.

Thread seems some what fresh so I'll ask this;
The DTC-5150XL card mentioned uses the CXD23A BIOS.
I know it is a 8 bit ISA card but does anyone know if the BIOS is 8k or or 16k?
I know 16k is needed to be set for hard drives that are not industry standard for what they call "special settings".

The DTC-5150XL card mentioned uses the CXD23A BIOS.
I know it is a 8 bit ISA card but does anyone know if the BIOS is 8k or or 16k?
The copy at [here], in the DTC section, shows that the CXD23A BIOS is 8 KB sized.

I know 16k is needed to be set for hard drives that are not industry standard for what they call "special settings".
At [here] is the installation guide for the 5150XL.

Page 1 of that includes "The following information pertains to the DTC·5150XL when used with Data Technology Corporation's CXD BIOS". You have a CXD BIOS.

Page 4 (and 6) indicates that if all W3 jumpers are removed, you get access to a mode named 'free format' (which was often called 'dynamic formatting' by other companies - see [here])
In 'free format' mode, you get to type in the drive parameters (cylinders, heads, etc.) at the time of low-level formatting.
Is that the type of functionality that you are seeking (and by the looks of it, already have access to) ?

The copy at [here], in the DTC section, shows that the CXD23A BIOS is 8 KB sized.

At [here] is the installation guide for the 5150XL.

Page 1 of that includes "The following information pertains to the DTC·5150XL when used with Data Technology Corporation's CXD BIOS". You have a CXD BIOS.

Page 4 (and 6) indicates that if all W3 jumpers are removed, you get access to a mode named 'free format' (which was often called 'dynamic formatting' by other companies - see [here])
In 'free format' mode, you get to type in the drive parameters (cylinders, heads, etc.) at the time of low-level formatting.
Is that the type of functionality that you are seeking (and by the looks of it, already have access to) ?
OK, my card is DTC-5150CR and uses a DIP28 BXDO7 which is 8 kb BIOS. I see from links BIOS CRN15A DIP28 is pretty much the only one that is 16 kb. They mention CRL02A and CRH16A but not the package size. If I luck out and find some old new stock somewhere for CRN15A could I just plug that in, maybe flash new BIOS if needed and get my DTC5150CR to use the jumper setting for 16 kb "special setting/free format" functionality to fully low level my HD or am I dreaming? Back in the '80's they must have had something available since that jumper is there and in the specs?

Back