• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore - IBM PC compatibility

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Hi everybody,

I am planning to write a book, exclusively on vintage computers. I am wondering if there is a way to transfer files from a Commodore 64 running GEOS to an IBM PC with 5 1/4" floppies. I don't have the Commodore computer or GEOS yet, but it occured to me that GEOS might have a communications tool that could transfer files trough a null modem cable. I'd really like to be able to use sneakernet to move files back and forth via floppy, though.

Does anybody know how to do it and what it takes to do it?

Thanks,
Sean Kelly,
Seattle

Also, I don't know about the GEOS (geoWrite probably) file formats, if you can convert files to use them on the PC.

You strongly mention IBM PC and 5.25" floppy disks, which makes me think of a 286 class system or older. If you're just looking for a way to transfer files to any modern PC, there are several cables and interfaces for doing so, see Jorg's link among others.

The 1541 can not natively read IBM PC formatted floppy disks, just as little as an IBM can read a 1541 disk. The 1571 coupled with the C128 can be modified (?) and use a software called Big Blue Reader to read FM/MFM floppy disks from e.g. an IBM PC. But that is mostly a curiosity today, compared to the alternative, more efficient methods for file transfer.

Also, I don't know about the GEOS (geoWrite probably) file formats, if you can convert files to use them on the PC.

You strongly mention IBM PC and 5.25" floppy disks, which makes me think of a 286 class system or older. If you're just looking for a way to transfer files to any modern PC, there are several cables and interfaces for doing so, see Jorg's link among others.

The 1541 can not natively read IBM PC formatted floppy disks, just as little as an IBM can read a 1541 disk. The 1571 coupled with the C128 can be modified (?) and use a software called Big Blue Reader to read FM/MFM floppy disks from e.g. an IBM PC. But that is mostly a curiosity today, compared to the alternative, more efficient methods for file transfer.

Thanks Jorg and Anders for your replies. I just bought a "XE1541/XM1541" adaptor off of eBay. It's odd that I didn't see the older thread that mentioned it when I looked before I posted my own message.

Thanks also for talking to me in English. I've been all over the world, never learned more than 200 words of any other language, but there were always people willing to speak English to me.

I'll let you all know how the file transferring goes.

Sean

Back