• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Prolinea NET1/33S network problem

NicolasF

Experienced Member
Hey everyone! a friend of mine gave me a Compaq Prolinea NET1/33S its a 486 DX2 with 16MB RAM. I want to connect it to the internet but I can't configure the network card, I downloaded some drivers from the compaq site. (it has Windows 95 installed). Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?
Thanks!

What kind of network card does it have, and what have you tried to do so far?

ok, the computer has a network card attached to the motherboard, and it says "Token Ring" but I can't find the brand of it... I've tried installing some drivers that I downloaded from the Compaq website but they didn't work... now, are Token Ring cards compatible with Ethernet cards??

Oooooops, token ring is TOTALLY different than ethernet. You could just throw away that card or stick it in the garage in a drawer. Token ring was a big IBM thing, you had to use it to access alot of their midsized servers and mainframes. It's like apples and oranges and the apples have won hand down. Put the orange away :D

Oooooops, token ring is TOTALLY different than ethernet. You could just throw away that card or stick it in the garage in a drawer. Token ring was a big IBM thing, you had to use it to access alot of their midsized servers and mainframes. It's like apples and oranges and the apples have won hand down. Put the orange away :D

I installed a 3Com Etherlink card and it works fine, thanks! ;)

My parents has a NET1/25 or if it is /33 (I've posted about it before), and as far as I could recall, it had no built-in networking at all; no Token ring, no Ethernet, not even a phone modem. Alas, I installed a 3Com 3C509B at the time it was in use (the card was later transferred to a Compaq Pressario Pentium 1, 120-166 MHz). At the place I'm current working, they have a retired Compaq with built-in screen. I should look if it is a NET1 or another model, and which kind of networking it comes with out of the box.

Back