• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Copying BIOS (EPROM burner)

Debug

Debug

The problem with using debug is that you really can't save a chunk of data 64kbytes in size (65,536 IIRC) to a file. It would always be 1 byte short (the means of specifying the size of a file to be saved is stored in a register - and since the largest numeric a 16-bit register can store is FFFFh, or 65,535, you turn up short!

For writing files, DEBUG uses two registers, BX and CX, and is therefore capable of writing more than FFFFh bytes. For example, to write 64K bytes, put 0001 into BX and 0000 in CX (00010000 = 64K).

And so my initial problem wasn't with the W command. Instead, the problem was with the M (move) command. When I tried "M F000:0 10000 0100", Debug errored on the "10000" portion, i.e. a count of 64K bytes (10000h). Eventually I found a web site that stated that Debug interprets "0000" as 64K, and so I then found that "M F000:0 0000 0100" moves 64K bytes.

And so at this point I was moving (copying really) a 64K block of RAM, and creating a 64K file. The problem then was that the file contents were not as expected. And so there is something else going on. Thinking about it now, the cause might be that my moved 64K block is going over a segment boundary. I'll look into it later.

"For writing files, DEBUG uses two registers, BX and CX, and is therefore capable of writing more than FFFFh bytes. For example, to write 64K bytes, put 0001 into BX and 0000 in CX (00010000 = 64K)."

Which versions? I'd be embarrassed to find out I'd been missing something the whole time. I had expected that what was saveable was restricted to the active data segment (debug's data segment, which is where the code is loaded up). Ah well, live and learn.

Which versions? I'd be embarrassed to find out I'd been missing something the whole time.
Don't know, but it goes back to at least DOS 3.1

Ah well, live and learn.
Yep. Been VB programming for many years. About six or so months ago, someone watching me code brought to my attention a time saver that apparently is widely known to VB programmers. Embarrassing!

Splitting 64K up into odd/even components

Splitting 64K up into odd/even components

modem7 said:
At this point you have FINAL.BIN which needs to be specially split as I stated in my earlier post.
Attached is a little program I knocked up to do the split of the 64K file (into odd and even portions).
When running it, browse to the 64K file then click on the 'odd/even' button. Two files (32K each in this case) will be created - one containing the odd address bytes, the other containing the even address bytes.
Get Nige to burn each 32K file to a suitably speed rated 27256 EPROM.

Attachments

• OddEven.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
I have the dumped System Rom now :D

I've attached them to this message, both with and without the headers. Without the headers the file size is 64.0 KB (65,536 bytes), so it seems to tie up ok.

Attachments

• roms.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
Attached is a little program I knocked up to do the split of the 64K file (into odd and even portions).
When running it, browse to the 64K file then click on the 'odd/even' button. Two files (32K each in this case) will be created - one containing the odd address bytes, the other containing the even address bytes.
Get Nige to burn each 32K file to a suitably speed rated 27256 EPROM.

That is great, thank you so much! Everyone has been very helpful on this thread, I really appreciate it :)`

Attached the "split" system ROM, if it is of interest to any readers.

Now to get them burnt to a suitable EPROM and keep my fingers crossed that it actually works!!!

Attachments

• splitroms.zip
    22.1 KB · Views: 1
The 27256's in your picture are rated at 120nS. The replacements should be 120nS or faster. It's very unlikely that the old 200nS versions that Nige and I have will do the job. Therefore, I suggest that you take Nige up on his offer of buying suitably rated units.

Back